Prime has the SLOWEST sorry trucks on the road today, it's not even close

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by freightwipper, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    nope, i'd never pull a box, specifically for that reason.

tonight i saw one prime that apparently don't beleive in the fuel bonus. he broke the speed limit in cali AND nevada, till we got to the 70 zone. then i finally passed him.

3. sazook

sazook Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Springfield, MO
    Most of the loads go to grocery warehouses that only receive certain types of product during certain time windows. It was often I'd get loaded at 11AM, and have a delivery the next morning at 4AM on a 2-300 mile load with no way to deliver earlier. I'd take my time, get there around 5PM, take my 10, deliver, and do the same thing the next day.

The net numbers I posted are all after all insurance and taxes were paid. It was the actual amount I put in my pocket each year.

4. BIF MALIBU

BIF MALIBU Heavy Load Member

May 21, 2010
    lake cushman wa
    the mega carriers in the ata have their lobbyists in washington trying to get all new trucks governed at 65 mph because they cant keep any of the millions of drivers they trained with our tax dollars.
    they could eliminate more independant drivers but they could get local jobs and have a life.

5. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    It's not a matter of "not believing" as much as it is making the appointments. If ya gotta put the hammer down to get where ya need to be, you do it. Fuel is your number one controllable cost, so when the schedule is such that you can slow down it's time to put money in your pocket.

Let's make this easy... if you're on a per-mile contract the only way you can increase your profit is to run more miles, and hope that the fuel surcharge covers the fuel. We're on a percentage contract so there's two ways to increase you're profit: First, luck-out and draw a load with a higher rate, which happens quite a bit. The second way is to do a better job at controlling your costs, and the number one target is the fuel bill. Its the 800-pound gorilla on your profit/loss sheet, and some effort on this line item will do more for your bottom line than anything else. That's how you give yourself a pay raise in our world.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
    hal380 Thanks this.
  6. Jabber1990

Jabber1990 Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Jackson, MO
    independent drivers are competitors, anything to crush competition ($1/mi freight anyone?)

keeping all trucks at 65 is stupid especially with so many states raising their speed limits

7. Jabber1990

Jabber1990 Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Jackson, MO
    you get there at the same time regarless how fast you drive

8. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Did you actually read this before you clicked on the "POST" button? Just wondering...

9. skibum_63

skibum_63 Road Train Member

Oct 12, 2007
    somewhere, USA
    So you tell dispatch your going to be there earlier, and can they get you set up on a earlier preplan.

10. AppalachianTrucker

AppalachianTrucker Heavy Load Member

May 25, 2014
    Orion Arm
    You gotta flip up the lever on the shifter to get to high range. :biggrin_2553:

postmandav Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.