Prime Inc. - A year in review

Discussion in 'Prime' started by U2Exit, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Truckers Wife727

Truckers Wife727 Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I guess the question is: Irregardless of what the trainee miles to upgrade requirement, is it stil .30/mile as a solo under 80k?

The pay for solo under 80k miles is 33 cpm. 7.7 cpm of this is paid as per diem. 5 cpm more if you drive a mini.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. carolinadrifter

carolinadrifter Light Load Member

Nov 18, 2011
    looking the bmi requirments for prime. working for sni now and had a physical 2 months ago with no problems. looking to do a lease after the 1st of the yr. I would welcome some do's and donts.Been a o/o b4 but would love talk with someone already settled at prime.

4. iowatrucker1982

iowatrucker1982 Bobtail Member

Feb 26, 2012
    remsen,iowa
    how often can you request to be home

5. rcd127

rcd127 Medium Load Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Madison, AL
    You get 1 day off for every week out. typically you can get home time every 3-4 weeks as a company driver. If you are lease you can go home when ever you want you just don't make any money.

6. mannymac25

mannymac25 Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2012
    new york
    i'm starting out this monday 6/25 i'm recent grad from an outside school with all the endorsement going to pittston any questions you guys thing i should ask im starting out as a c seat then after 40k miles solo but i talked to my recruiter about switching from reffer to tanker think thats a good idea

7. jayhawker_1012

jayhawker_1012 Light Load Member

Apr 17, 2012
    I am familiar with the fuel surcharge for lease drivers based on what my trainer has explained to me. Even with the surcharge isnt it in a leasees best interest to still plan ur trip to purchase fuel at the best price available.

8. DragonTamerBrat

DragonTamerBrat Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2011
    Yes, but you need to understand everything that makes for the best price available. And IP can explain that WAY better than I can.

9. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    It certainly is. As long as you're getting better mileage than what the surcharge is based on, you are decreasing the per-mile-rate that you're buying your fuel for. Above 8 mpg (with our current surcharge formula) you can consider that you are making money off of the surcharge payments. However, you are correct... it certainly helps to buy your fuel at the cheapest BASE PRICE available.

Base Price is calculated by subtracting all of our discounts and state fuel tax from the pump price at a given fuel stop. What you have left over is the actual price of the fuel. My strategy is to buy as much fuel at the lowest base price available in-route. This leads to the lowest cost to a lease operator for his/her fuel.

Now with that being said, please don't even THINK about becoming a lease operator until you have a year or two as a company driver to prepare yourself to become a businessman. That's right! Not only are you going to be a truck driver - you the truck driver, are your own employee - and you must become a businessman as well! You need to sock away a cash reserve to cushion the ups and downs of this business, learn how to run your truck properly, and as enough questions to figure out how you can make money driving a truck. The folks who lease right out of training generally struggle with it. Failing to prepare is preparing to fail!

10. Ryen

Ryen Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Im new and actually love long road trips and think trucking is a great route for me IM young 24 and been looking at prime hard.... I know it isnt big bucks at first but im ok with that because you have to start out at the bottom get your raised and make money with whatever you do...as I have been reading it seems your cpm is what you make yearly basically maybe a little more so if you make 34 cpm is it a correct assumption your going to bring about 34000 per year...I would go company route. Also I want to know is there like ways to move it up then just be trucker like you know how you have supervisors and managers is there like a truck supervisor or do you become a fleet manager by trucking with a company a few years then applying for it? just curious has to the levels. Thank you guys very much in advance for anytime you put into answering my questions.

11. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    You could certainly do $34k per year. Mileage averages I've noted posted are in the 2600 to 2800 per week on the company side. If you go on the company website, you can access the non-driving positions that are being advertised. Many of them do require a college degree.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.