Prime Inc. from day one as a new trainee

Discussion in 'Prime' started by captjimmy, Jan 2, 2018.

1. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Simulators is that similar to what they use to train pilots? Where they will put you in a realistic type situation to see how you cope? I wonder if they show you how to follow at a safe speed and distance, or how to reduce speeds according to the driving conditions, the appropriate procedure while going down a steep incline,how to properly hook up a trailer. Some how i very much doubt that.

firemedic2816 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. captjimmy

captjimmy Light Load Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Florida
    No they don’t show you any of that actually. They show you how to upshift, downshift and skipshift. Who told you the simulators did all that???

Veryblessed Thanks this.
  4. ladr

ladr Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2013
    GA
    Quit crying.

WesternPlains Thanks this.
  5. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I would say it's a far test to see if someone has a grasp of the fundamentals of driving.

It will grind gears (10 spd) if your shift is off. Kids, soccer moms, and delivery drivers will pop out of nowhere in residential areas. Hijakers will setup a road block to see if you stop for them and there are road construction detours to see if you can read signs. It will rain and turn dark to see if you can turn on the wipers and headlights. Tires can blow out, steer tires will pull hard to one side. It can dump snow in an instant and put you in a jacknife to see how you cope. Deer will pop out to see if you want to veer or slam on the brakes. You could drive in fog with vehicles/emergency on the shoulders and a supertucker torpedo coming behind you to see if you just hang in the middle lane. Dock and truck stop parking. Meandering through a tight space of dropped trailers right in the road. Aggressive drivers that try and crowd you off the road to see how you handle it.

Better than you'd expect, but I think they paid too much for it. :)

6. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Ohh yeah, my favorite senerio. :tard: you will loose all air pressure, but the emergency brakes won't come on, and then will it send you down a hill.

7. trucker28truck

trucker28truck Light Load Member

Jul 28, 2016
    US mainland
    dont tell me what to do

8. captjimmy

captjimmy Light Load Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Florida
    I figure I should do a post as I’m sitting here getting unloaded in Springfield, MA. It’s been a great week once again. I feel like I’m learning a lot of valuable stuff from my trainer. At the same time it’s a little overwhelming. I never realized how much actually goes into trucking. That’s all I’ve got for now. Out.

9. firemedic2816

firemedic2816 Road Train Member

May 14, 2016
    Walton Kentucky
    Maybe you shouldn't have done the LTO Program, that is a stupid program, and screws you as you have found out

TheRealPorkChopExpress Thanks this.
  10. firemedic2816

May 14, 2016
    Walton Kentucky
    VERY SMART..Sorry just found your post, been in and out of the site so

11. firemedic2816

May 14, 2016
    Walton Kentucky
    Always told my firefighter students and paramedic students. We don't teach you how to be a paramedic in the classroom, we teach you how NOT to kill patients, and how not to get yourself Dead after 23 years I learned something new everyweek, sometimes it's a new way of doing an old skill that is better or faster...Same thing with truck driving they don't teach you how to be a truck driver in class or TNT, they teach you how NOT to kill yourself or destroy the truck (except at Swift, I kid, although most of my TT accidents involved a Swift truck) Good luck to you,, still trying to decide myself when I get back on the road between Prime and Jim Palmer...Leaning Towards JPT,, until someone can convince me other wise.

FullMetalJacket Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.