Prime Inc Good Starting company?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by b947, Oct 27, 2017.

1. b947

b947 Light Load Member

Aug 25, 2017
    san bernardino california
    I took my test on Thursday and passed everything except the driving part. Failed because I was coasting too much. Instructor said "brake and hold clutch in when you reach 2x the length of your vehicle". Anyways I take another test on Monday and feel very confident I will pass this time. I talked with recruiters from Gardner, Melton, CRST , Swift and Prime. I wanted to land a local job but seems like that is a lot harder to find since everyone wants experience. So I have decided to go with Prime. If i pass and follow through with going with them I will leave the following Monday to Salt Lake City.

What can I expect when I arrive at Salt Lake City ?
    How is their orientation.

How long will i have to be with a trainer to finally get the 50 cents a mile they said i would earn. (might be 41)

I want to work my ##* off and put in as many miles as I can. Do they give you good miles?

Any information you can give would be great.

Also not worried about it at all but do they give hair follicle testing? If true, is it true they cut a patch off of your hair? Because I only have hair on the top of my head and its about 16 inches long but always braided. I wouldn't want a patch in my braids. 3 or 4 hairs is what i would imagine they need.

cant waith for @Chinatown reply s

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FlexinTarzan

FlexinTarzan Medium Load Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Stanfield, OR
    Wise Choice, only downside is dealing with reefer and all that entails. A lot of folks including myself find/found that we are not robots... You will find out soon enuff if reefer suits you.

Jfairley00 Thanks this.
  4. prosidius

prosidius Light Load Member

Jul 15, 2016
    Wisconsin
    I drive for Prime.

Prime is the probobly the best of all the megas. You'll need to decide what you want to pull. Prime has reefer, flatbed, and tanker.

If you join prime with a CDL in hand you'll have to do 40,000 miles with a trainer. All miles driven by you and your trainer counts towards it. Expect it to take 2-3 months to complete. You'll get paid $600-700 a week during training.

The miles in the reefer division are good. I just finished a week running 3000 miles. Average is about 2500. I can't speak about the other divisions since I only do reefer.

Prime does urine testing.

Need4Speed and albert l Thank this.
  5. Jfairley00

Jfairley00 Light Load Member

Apr 27, 2017
    Listen to the man, I was forced into reefer bc they said tanker doesn't deliver to my home state (I don't what that has to do with me running tanker) anyway you will be treated like a robot. I've been running no stop for six weeks, about the length of time I've been solo, I ask my fm can I take home time and he.couldnt even get me home on the dates I asked for. I've been running none stop, even on a busted clock for a month, fm says I don't need a reset and to push as hard as I can. I've had to have 3 repowers bc I couldn't finish the load due to time restraints and each time I'd get #####ed at when clearly I needed a reset. You're just in the test faze man wait til tnt when you're driving 500 plus miles a day and only getting paid 400 bucks a week. It might just be me but I think my fm is trying to run me off.

Need4Speed and augiedoggie41 Thank this.
  6. albert l

albert l Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2013
    On the Road
    Can't go wrong with Prime
    Not much info here for Orientation at SLC
    Most info is for Springfield
    Miles are great for those who want to work
    As mentioned earlier, pee test only

Need4Speed Thanks this.
  7. albert l

albert l Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2013
    On the Road
    For home time sometimes freight dictates where you end up
    You should get home on time almost everytime
    Get into the habit of reminding dispatch, regular or weekend that you need to be home
    Send short polite messages

I have heard they test new drivers to see what they can handle
    3 repowers in 6 weeks, make sure you know your hours and send a message back when you preplan your trip if you cannot make 90 ontime
    Sometimes we have to run it even if we cant make it and the FM will have a repower lined up

Resets, have hours will run !

Stay positive !

Jfairley00 Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  9. b947

b947 Light Load Member

Aug 25, 2017
    san bernardino california
    Ye
    Yes my man I did. Some where not hiring new cdl graduates or pay was around 18 an hour no overtime. I figured I can do better otr if I work hard enough.

10. augiedoggie41

augiedoggie41 Light Load Member

May 21, 2017
  11. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I have time before I complete school. I've been looking at alot of companies. Researching in depth, everything.
    I've looked at Prime pretty deeply. From all I have found. They are a righteous company. They're the best mega to start with. Pay is higher than others. They really think things out. Stay ahead of the rest of the pack. This is not to say they don't have any problems. Every company has problems. Look around...you're still in this world. You won't leave it by working for Prime.

Need4Speed Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.