Prime Inc. rejected my application because I was fired from US Xpress in 2016

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by OriginalPhil, Jul 11, 2020.

1. OriginalPhil

OriginalPhil Bobtail Member

Jan 10, 2017
    You're not railroading the thread at all! It's great to hear the thoughts of someone in a similar headspace/situation. It's the never-ending "stability vs (attempt at) happiness" dilemma lol. Personally, if I was at least 10 years into my current job, I think I would just keep grinding away at it until retirement. Then after retirement, look for a seasonal OTR gig.

I've only had to fill out paper logs in training, but I have to agree that life is a lot easier with e-logs and GPSs for multiple reasons.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    ok, so you cannot draw your retirement until 63...ok, you retire at 25 years of service, and go to work OTR or what ever. you continue to earn a weekly paycheck, and have SS taxes taken out. at 63, you start taking your retirement form the state job.

or you continue at the state job, to further up your pension payout.

it is still a win-win for you.

OriginalPhil Thanks this.
  4. milkman83

milkman83 Light Load Member

Aug 30, 2012
    Syracuse, NY
    I was just out for a drive on my day off. I really enjoy taking 97 down toward Port Jervis, especially in the spots where the road closely follows the Delaware. Even though the Southern Tier isn’t the most prosperous place, it does have a lot of natural beauty (and good people).

I have no idea whether or not Wagner would hire you, but I would at least ask. My suggestion would be to get a couple more years of accident-free driving behind you (DOT or otherwise) and then try OTR again with a clean record. If a company like Willow Run or even Swift says yes, go for it. It can’t hurt to ask. Swift hired me in 2010 with a less than stellar driving record and no experience after being turned down by a couple of better companies.

5. OriginalPhil

Jan 10, 2017
    Route 97 is an awesome road to take for leisurely day-off drive. All the way through the "Hawk's Nest" to the Riverside Creamery in Port Jervis for some fried ice cream! RT 97 is actually my plow beat in winter (from Hancock to Long Eddy).

Also, as crazy as it might sound, I wouldn't mind driving for Swift. They seem like a company that offers drivers some decent options if they're willing to invest a couple years. I'd imagine that they have more drop and hook loads than most other companies too, since their trailers are practically EVERYWHERE lol.

6. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Isn’t a criminal record mandatory to go to prime?

7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    No. That's CR England and CRST.....

8. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    OK let me ask you this, and maybe you’ve already answered it. Was the rear end collision in a commercial vehicle or in a private vehicle? I know people who have had a few minor rear end collisions before they ever went into commercial driving and after two or three years most companies didn’t hold it against them at all. Now if it’s in a commercial vehicle, like others have said that’s pretty much the kiss of death. Because at that point most trucking companies consider you went through training, you’re a professional and there’s no excuse to be rear ending someone.

9. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    guess Crime err Prime doesn’t pay.

10. OriginalPhil

Jan 10, 2017
    Unfortunately, this was in one of US Xpress' trucks. The poor woman in the car I collided with was driving her mother home from the hospital (who was in the back seat). She was having a pretty unlucky week. The car was actually a rental, because hers was in the body shop being repaired for another accident she was involved in that week. This is the aftermath of my mirror check that lasted too long:

2015 Freightliner.jpg

20161223_215341.jpg

20161223_215352.jpg

Pretty "professional" of me, I know.

I'm still curious to see what Swift has to say (a few of their recruiters called me today), but it looks like I'll be road flagging for some years to come. Also, CRST wants me to pay $500 to go to a 5-day refresher course with no guarantee of being hired. If hired, I would have to team drive for at least 6 months. Even though beggars can't be choosers, I think I'm going to have to pass on that latter option.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.