Prime, Inc. - Springfield, Mo.?

Discussion in 'Prime' started by skullitor, Aug 22, 2005.

1. kc0rey

kc0rey Medium Load Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Macomb, IL
    Not really. They rent the truck. It is like renting a house or a car. There is no Owner in there anywhere.

It is no different then running down to Ruan and renting a tractor. Except Ruan would treat them better. LOL :p

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PortlandDriver

PortlandDriver RIP, May You Be Heaventown Bound!

May 30, 2005
    Pacific Northwest
    That's right, it is a "lease" program.

4. TurboTrucker

TurboTrucker Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2005
    Rossville, Georgia
    You are absolutely right. My interaction in another forum with a lady, whose husband worked for them for almost two years, netted me an enemy over that very issue.

I gently pointed out to her, via her own words, that they made so much money, that they couldn't afford a home to live in, and had two small children in the truck with them, and yet she went ballistic over my daring to down that company in any manner.

All a person is, under their arrangment, is a brainwashed company driver without the benefits of a steady wage, and Prime reaps all the profit each and every week. You wind up in debt to the IRS. You DON'T end up with the truck or else anything for that matter.

They hold seminars continuously, and it's all brainwashing tactics to make these people feel better about their "status" as "independent contractors", and people buy into it.

5. sleepwalker1

sleepwalker1 Bobtail Member

Sep 26, 2005
    Anytime anyon leases to a company like that they had better not have a family life,or want one.Time is put into your buisness,and succeding depends on how little time one spends at home.

6. Aligator

Aligator Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2005
    Mississippi
    I think living in the trucks is suicide. I have seen crazy truckers all over the US. The last one I saw was in South Carolina and he would literally follow people around talking to them....sat in the middle of the restaurant talking to everyone around him.
    The guy needed to go home. And if you live in a truck you will be like that.

7. AlaskanCowboy

AlaskanCowboy Bobtail Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Alaska
    I beg to differ with you Turbo. That is excatcly the kind of life I want and I am thinking clearly. It's not that I HAVE TO work that hard for that length of time but because I WANT TO. I am a single male with no faimly and life on the road is for me. So just because someone is out there for long periods of time doesn't mean they aren't thinking it may mean that they just love it.

8. skullitor

skullitor Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2005
    New England
    Or because you HAVE TO to pay the Lease payments, fuel ect. :shock:

9. TurboTrucker

TurboTrucker Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2005
    Rossville, Georgia
    Of course, my vision of a good job differs from that of others. I can certainly understand that some people have different lifestyle requirements or needs. It was not my supposition that anyone who wanted to live constantly out on the road was not thinking clearly. I do have other reasons for offering what I said, and I hope you will consider them.

That aside, their are larger issues that are a part as to why Prime and England (you expressed interest in England in another thread) are considered to be bad eggs by those in the know.

I would assume that despite your desire to be on the road consistently, that you do have the desire to make money for your efforts, and to maximize the amount you make as much as possible. I would also assume that you would like to be treated like a voluntary worker, rather than as a slave of sorts.

If so, these two companies are not where you need to land. Both are well known for structuring compensation for the benefit of the companies, and not for those doing the jobs. While Prime has a better reputation for treating their drivers well, England does not.

You don't want to go home? That's great. There isn't a company out there that would not be eager to have you. The thing is, you should select one based upon the criteria you DO consider important to you, and I assure you, that both of these companies do not offer long term prospects for contentment. They are constantly in need of drivers, and that is not without reason. They have trouble keeping them, and they constantly are advertising for them.

Also, as you noted earlier, you have read negative comments on the two companies, or I assume this to be the case. Why ignore all those comments, and not seek a carrier that has less controversy surrounding them? There are so many companies that prey upon those that are entering the industry, and yet there are more that hardly ever draw a negative comment.

I don't know what you are thinking, and I will not make any more assumptions. I will however, offer a few thoughts, just in case you were looking into a couple of scenarios.

Number one, if you are considering so, leasing a truck is not an adviseable thing for a newbie (if you are NOT a newbie to trucking, I apologize in advance). I don't recommend leasing a truck through a carrier for a veteran. I have YET to see ONE package that was slanted in the driver's favor. Prime and England REFUSE to divulge all the details of their programs up-front. They both cite "proprietary concerns" for this refusal. I know this to be a fact, because I have personally attempted to have information faxed to me.

What this tells me, is they have much to hide, and are competely afraid to reveal this information, because they KNOW that an informed person would not go any farther, after taking the time to understand and digest the details of their contracts. Both of these companies have had numerous litigation against them for illegal and improper aspects of those contracts.

Secondly, in todays economic climate, and especially with diesel fuel costing almost a dollar per gallon more than gasoline in most areas of the country, it would be insane to eat this cost without a proven and customary fuel surcharge clause in place, and again, both of these companies are not offering that to their drivers. They again, are slanting that to their favor, by taking part of it, and adding it to the profits they make.

There are no perfect companies, so the task of choosing one is hard, but you have to seek the best one for your needs. I assume that everyone's goal is to seek long term prospects, because job hopping is a waste of resources, and it perpetuates the problem that many drivers are experiencing on a daily basis.

The bottom line? If you desire to enter the OTR Trucking industry, there are better avenues available to you than these two. I hope you will consider other alternatives, for your own sake.

10. AlaskanCowboy

AlaskanCowboy Bobtail Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Alaska
    I have done a lot of research on getting my CDL. I am sort of new to trucking. I currently have a Class B and work fro a company in Alaska. I make runs to a town stay overnight come back go to the next and so on. I love being on the road and love driving but am sick of Alaska and moving to the lower 48. Since I only have a Class B I still need to go through training and get the Class A.

I looked into several different companies for training and jobs. The main reason for chosing England was financial. Because of personal circumstances I do not have money to pay a school or company for training. With England there is no out of pocket expense to get my training. The other reason was that I have 4 misdemeanors back in 1991 and was having a hard time getting some companies to take me. But England would, heck they'll take just about anyone.

Yes there are a lot of negatives out there about England. But I was kind of stuck. But before I made my choice I did take a trip down the west coast and went to several truck stops. I talked to England drivers and all though they weren't the happiest most seemed to be okay with it for at least a little while. So I figured I could use them to get training and experience. Put my year in all the while reasearching for a real company to work for.

As far as the leasing goes let me just say NO WAY! NO HOW! NO WHERE! I agree with you there and just don't see how you can make money of those deals. I was never trying to say that they are a good idea. All that I was saying was that there are some out there who love working all the time. I am single don't need home time would rather be out and making money. And yes I will find a company that will treat me decent and when I find them be on the road with them all the time. England is just a stepping stone and the only one that I can find right now.

Oh by the way Turbo I wanted to say thanks. As I said before I have been doing a lot of research and part of that has been reading in fourms. I have read several post of yours and your answers are always clear, helpful and honest. I have learned a lot from reading them. Several of the other fourms just have a lot of bickering and BS to wade through that you just want to give up. So I wanted to say thanks for your answers they have helped me a lot.

11. dnc915

dnc915 Bobtail Member

Aug 12, 2004
    There is no way I am going to pay for a truck that a Company is going to own and when I am done and have lost everything they will lease it to someone else so they get paid for the truck over and over. SWEET deal for prime ! That is how they paid for that Baeutiful Term. in Springfield.If you want to be out that long and only be home 3 days a month than more power to you. But why when The industry is finally starting to realize
    Real exp drivers want to be paid and be home more.are starting to step up. THat is one Of the reasons I am going to back into driving starting next week. And yes I have never driven for Prime But I have Family and friends that have and will tell you the same thing. Driving for Prime nearly bankrupt them. and before you say well that was because they dont what they are doing. 2 of them have their own truck and trailers with there own Auth. and making a great living even with the fuel prices. and the other one has own truck and trailer and leased to another company that he is average over 1.65 mile and has been driving trucks for over 30 years.But more power to you if feel that you are making a great living.
    Just remember PRIME stands for
    PLEASE REMEBER I MORTAGED EVERYTHING

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.