Prime Inc trying to collect for training from 5 years ago

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by amn70chevy, Mar 17, 2018.

1. amn70chevy

amn70chevy Bobtail Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Hello everyone I was with Prime, Inc. for about three months from September 2013 to November 2013. I went through their on-the-job training and received my CDL and continued on with a trainer before realizing being away from home wasn't for me and I decided to leave the company. I went back to the main terminal and let them know I was leaving, at that time they let me go but never said anything about paying them for the CDL. Jump forward to today I just received a one page report stating I owe $3,725.19. It doesn't say what this money is owed for, all it says is it is due in one month and (This is an attempt to collect a debt. Please refer to the Payroll Settlements for itemized detail of the debt. If you dispute the validity of the debt, you have 30 days to notify of such).

My question for you all is; it has been 5 years since I left Prime, Inc. and this is the first contact I have received from them. There was no other included information or reports to refer to in order to see this "itemized detail of debt". This "letter" I received is very vague and in no way does it look like a legal document or invoice. There is no collection on my credit reports nor has there ever been.

What do you guys in the field think of this? I have attached the picture of the letter I was sent

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Vic Firth

Vic Firth Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Indiana
    Did you sign a contract, if so you better take a look at it?

flood, snowlauncher, tscottme and 3 others Thank this.
  4. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    Not much of a letter. Sounds and looks to me as if your debt was sold to a collection service for pennies on the dollar. I believe had this been sent by Prime, it would look far more professional and be more detailed.

bottomdumpin and jbatmick Thank this.
  5. marmonman

marmonman Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    central illinois
    Free training is not free . They will do what they have to to get their money . This is just the beginning of the fun .

6. rpad139

rpad139 Heavy Load Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ca
    $3725 is nothing compared to what these other schools charge.

Ive seen some cdl schools charge $10k for training.

Are you still in the trucking biz?

hotrod1653, tscottme and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  7. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    They held up their end of the bargain and got you your CDL. You didn't hold up your end of the bargain to qualify for 'free' training. $3700 and 5 years of interest isn't an unreasonable sum to pay for CDL training. Pay it.

8. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Before you pay, tell them to show you the contract with your signature stating that they obligated you to some commitment, if you are unsure that there was any.
    If there was, then they should collect...otherwise every other dude having a change of heart before 1 year is up would walk away with a laugh.
    I went to Werner to ride with their trainer with my own CDL for which I paid $2500 in 2002. I left them after 4 months too, but I did not owe them anything.

9. amn70chevy

amn70chevy Bobtail Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Thank you for all the responses I wanted to get some general information before calling the number the letter gave me. I am still in the business but with a local company. I will call and ask for the contract with my signatures stating that if I leave within X amount of time I owe X amount to them. If they have all this then yes I will of course pay the amount training isn't free and I agree and understand that it was just very odd to me that this is the first I have heard from Prime Inc after 5 years away, and the fact that the letter doesn't directly state what this is in regards to.

Just passing by Thanks this.
  10. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    It’s not fair that they still want their money!

11. sbaumann14

sbaumann14 Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Rhinelander, WI
    DO NOT ADMIT YOU OWE ANYONE MONEY!!! you have up to 30 days to refute the validity of the amount? Refute it. Write a letter saying you would like proof as to the validity of the charge. send it signature required. that way you have a fighting chance to refute this down the road

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.