Flatbed or Tanker training companies?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by cncking2000, Aug 22, 2019.

1. cncking2000

cncking2000 Light Load Member

Dec 5, 2018
    Hello All!

I've been lurking on these forums for ages. I am hoping to get some advice.

I was in the IT world until about 2 years ago. I know Prime is picky on job history, and I am looking for a CDL training program.

I worked from 12/12 to 10/14 at one employer. Then 10/14 to 2/17 at another. I then took about a year off work. In this time I sold my house, and prepared for a career change. I've then worked a local box truck driving gig from 3/18 to current.

Is this gap going to be a reason I am turned away from Prime?

I will be relocating to Greer, SC from Denver, CO in November of this year if anyone has any other suggestions for a company provided CDL training program.

Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    R. E. West Transportation has free cdl school and no contract to sign.
    They're big in Tennessee and the Carolinas
    There's also CFI - www.cfidrive.com which is dry van. School in Missouri and sometimes will just send you to a private school.
    Schneider tanker division hires in Greer and pays for cdl school. www.schneiderjobs.com
    Millis Transfer (dry van) has cdl school in Eden, NC and a good reputation.

4. cncking2000

Dec 5, 2018
    Thanks @Chinatown

Should I consider these as alternatives, or do you feel my chances at Prime are slim? I can provide documentation on the sale of my house in 6/17 but beyond that and a statement from my fiancee I have no documentation on my year I was unemployed.

5. cncking2000

Dec 5, 2018
    I'd also like to mention I'd like to be in flatbed or tanker training. I'd like to eventually end up doing oversize/overweight loads, or cryo/fuel once I have the experience necessary.

6. Brody75

Brody75 Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2019
    St. Louis, MIssouri
    Cncking2000, I am also looking a career change and plan to apply to Prime in March of next year for flatbed.

I don't have issues with work history, but I am interested to hear other driver's opinions about Prime, especially flatbed.

One issue that concerns me is that I will be 52 when I apply. I am in good shape and have no problem with physical work. But I am concerned they might try to steer me toward dry van.

7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I doubt that year off will hurt you; might with Prime, but maybe not.
    For tankers go with Schneider.
    For flatbed, go with R. E. West, followed by Boyd Driving Academy in Birmingham, AL & McElroy Truck Lines in Cuba, AL. All of those have their own cdl school training program.
    Maverick Transportation also has their own flatbed cdl school.
    For oversize/overweight, go with R. E. West: Here's some photo's of R. E. West trucks. Don't worry; you'll get properly trained.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  8. cncking2000

Dec 5, 2018
    @Chinatown, Thanks again.

I see R.E. West has driver facing cameras. They also require misdemeanor charges to be over 10 years old. I am unfortunate in that my charge is more recent. I'd love their 7 axle RGN setup.

I also am concerned with hair follicle testing, to the point I may go pay to get my own done, as I live in a state where everyone from the gas station clerk to your barber is stoned. There appears to be controversy about second hand exposure, and with some of the places I deliver to on a daily basis being a part of that locally legalized industry, I would hate to ruin my chances of a decent future. I can pass any UA and have for a long time in life. I just wish hair testing guidelines would be finalized, and research concluded as to the effects of second hand exposure.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I think Prime Inc. still just does urine test. CDL school for Prime is in Salt Lake City, Utah and Springfield, Missouri.
    Prime Inc. has flatbed/refrigerated/food grade tankers.

10. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    Maybe @SurfBaker could chime in when he gets some time. He is in the process of training at superior and sounds like he is loving every minute of it

SurfBaker and cncking2000 Thank this.
  11. RunningAces

RunningAces Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2017
    Prime does urine only.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.