Prime Leasing questions. Who's can help?

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by csmith1281, Sep 12, 2017.

1. nightgunner

nightgunner Road Train Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Yes to all...
    Higher paying freight (I refuse to pull less than $2/mi).
    I pay cash for tags, insurance, 2290 all up front myself. I do not Finance anything through the carrier. As an owner-operator we are responsible for everything. Even the parts that we don't like.
    The big benefit however is that I'm not beholden to the company ever.

lip zee Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nightgunner

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    The point is there is a better way to do business then leasing a truck through a mega. Ask yourself this.
    If leasing a truck from a major carrier was going to cost them money or hurt their profit in any way do you think they would do it?
    If these agreements would make you more money than it would make them do you think they would really do it?
    It's just like being paid off percentage versus per mile. Years ago all the carriers paid owner operators per mile. They slowly discovered however that by paying you for the deadhead miles they were losing money. So instead they told owner operators they would pay them percentage. All the sudden the characters are no longer under any stress or pressure to find you a next load to get out of where you just got you. They told people hey will pay you 75% of the line hall which is more than your previous rate per mile. People never stop to factor in the amount of dead head that they were now doing for free. If you're going to eat the dead head-on percentage your rate needs to be high enough to cover that.
    If you're pulling cheap Freight from a mega carrier your rate will never be high enough to cover it.

csmith1281 Thanks this.
  4. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    You do know that the mega average rate per loaded mile is typically 5% to 8% above the national average. And can be as high 30% over the spot market, depending on where the spot market is.

csmith1281 Thanks this.
  5. nightgunner

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Lol yeah keep believing that

csmith1281 Thanks this.
  6. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    Not a belief ... you can go to the quarterly reports, feather out the data and figure out the per revenue per mile for the publicly traded megas.

Now how much of that a driver gets, may be a different story.

redoctober83 and csmith1281 Thank this.
  7. nightgunner

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Yeah. Cool story bro.

csmith1281 Thanks this.
  8. Bigrayon

Bigrayon Road Train Member

Aug 16, 2015
    I cannot say anything about them I never work for them, as far as what goes on here is all about the agent you deal with, it's almost like landstar you get a good agent you see the money, as to my gross that is just a little tidbit ok I make way more than that, but I must be truthful I am on a dedicated account that pays me very well, each day is different but I do very well, know what saying that the next person comes well make that, because some of the guys I know that is doing something similar to what I is making more than me and yes some is not making it and is given back there truck to quality, so I don't want no one to think that every one here is making it is not so as in any thing some will make and yes those will pretend to be making it, but each is own, I tell it the way I see it

csmith1281 Thanks this.
  9. Bigrayon

Aug 16, 2015
    Nice fld120 are is it the mid Excel

nightgunner Thanks this.
  10. Bigrayon

Aug 16, 2015
    Same here I just put 10 virgin on it cost me a nice little bit, I put on the tire I want not what they want you to have on a truck you lease from them,

csmith1281 Thanks this.
  11. Bigrayon

Aug 16, 2015
    Be careful they don't jump on your back for using Greatwide name lol , some of the driver here only wants to talk about a company if they are doing bad

lip zee and csmith1281 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.