Prime, never been insulted by employer before.

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by RECON08, May 24, 2010.

1. TREE

TREE Heavy Load Member

May 11, 2010
    OHIO

I am very upset with any man that likes his job!

how dare youuuu:biggrin_2559:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. phroziac

phroziac Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    Funny, every time i see a prime driver in the drivers lounge at a truckstop, they either tell me how horrible the company is, or they tell me, oh, its a great place, and i ask em how often they get home and i get "i cant afford to go home cause my truck payments!".....and last i checked, theres more to life than work....

Every time i go to a werner terminal i meet a couple of guys who just love working here as well. However, there has to be something wrong with anyone sitting at a terminal waiting for days on the shop who isnt pissed off...

4. HardlyWorkingNeverHome

HardlyWorkingNeverHome Heavy Load Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Hamden,CT
    I'm just curious. Why is it that the whiners are almost always the ones that can't complete a full sentence at least part of the time?

Also, Why are these the same people that can't figure out BEFORE they agree to lease, they will make less than a company driver almost every time? You can look at just about every lease operator out there, and realize after talking with them it won't work out.

They are either of an IQ of less than 105 (which isn't a problem in its self in this type of work), or are so green that they can't run the numbers because they don't have all the information they need to make an intelligent choice.

The Driver with the low IQ may not realize that for the first six months, in a zero down or low payment to get in deal, he/she is not going to go home with very much because they need to fund a few reserve and escrow funds to the tune of around $2000-$5000. If they are aware, they just can't fathom how long it will take to fund the reserves, or how much of their pay per week will be going towards the reserves.

The smart Greenhorn on the other hand may have factored in the start-up cost, may understand the need to control MPG's/Idling. They just miss smaller things that add-up. an example would be what a typical repair that isn't covered under warranty costs, or how long can you typically go without messing up a tire. It could even be something as silly as being stuck on the side of the road because they don't know how to change a fuel filter.

My best suggestion is if you fall in either group, and you really, really, really, want to lease a truck that you find out as much as you can about the terms.
    search this site for every possible expense you could reasonably expect to shell out as well as some of those unreasonable ones as well.

When you are ready to lease, wait one more year as you save $100 a month to build a small bank reserve for yourself. This would be a fund that you don't use for anything other than truck related expenses when you are up and running.

Also consider signing a lease agreement in Jan-April, after you receive your tax return. I use my return as a forced savings plan and get a pretty large return every year.

5. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Ya don't make money hanging out at the truckstop whining - and you don't get home if you can't save enough to make the payment while you're playing. Some folks just don't get it, and should remain company drivers.

And if they're biotchin' about how bad Prime is (I don't see it that way) - they'd probably be biotchin' about ANY trucking company they'd work for.

I'd be pissed if I were locked up in a terminal too - hmmm, doesn't work that way at Prime! Dang good thing too!

6. U2Exit

U2Exit Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2008
    WA and VA
    It happens all the time at Prime... Only it's not Prime's shop causing it, cause they pass the hard stuf onto Freighliner, Detroit Diesel and the like. Last stop in Pittston and Springfield terminals, each time I met drivers who had been waiting 5 plus days on those places.

Joe and Tnet just had a "fun" experience with Freightliner... Unfortunatly they were no where near a terminal.

7. TREE

TREE Heavy Load Member

May 11, 2010
    OHIO
    Again why would anybody lease a truck???
    Esp when the economy is in the s*it.:biggrin_2555:

8. ironpony

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Yeah, I saw that - its pretty obvious the maintenance side of things hasn't always got the hang of dealing with post-EGR engines. Got shutdown for 5 days myself waiting on a steering column this last spring, but I managed to make things work until I was back at the house. I personally think that you get better maintenance going back to the manufacturer, than dealing with the company shops, but that's me.

9. IROCUBabe

IROCUBabe Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    The only thing I know about Prime is those trucks are governed at what... 50 mph? Sheesh.

10. sazook

sazook Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Springfield, MO
    62, 65, or 70. Mine was at 70 until last week when I had them turn it down to 65 so I could run Ontario and Quebec.

11. ironpony

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Just doin' our part to clog America's highways! :biggrin_2559:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.