Prime or Knight??? Which is best for a new driver?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by jgtrucking, Apr 16, 2022.

1. sevenmph

sevenmph Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Pinellas county Florida
    IMO Prime is a chew em up, spit em out, and put another butt in the seat company. Their model is to have as many of their drivers on lease purchase as possible. Do some more research on the internet. Read what their CEO says. They don’t appear to be a company with the employees best interest in mind.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jgtrucking

jgtrucking Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2021
    Thanks. That's the feeling I'm getting. Lots of drama online from a lot of their drivers as well. It's disconcerting.

4. VA CDL Holder

VA CDL Holder Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Knight is a decent company, that’s why I always went back to them, they made it easy for me. I guess they don’t want me because I will be gone after 3 months...fact! Gotta live life a little when you are able. That said, right now I have the yearning to drive, for about 3 or 4 months maybe 5. My record is 6 months with Schneider in 2015. I would hire me because I incurr very little cost to hire. I show up at their door at my expense. I might persuade them to pick up the hotel, but no deal breaker if they don’t.

5. jgtrucking

Dec 25, 2021
    I've made my decision. Spoke with my Prime recruiter today and addressed some concerns I had before going there this Sunday. I was met with a very quick cut and dry, "you don't have to come out here, take it or leave it", and a lousy phone disposition. I told him under the circumstances, I didn't feel comfortable signing a 1 year contract if they didn't even want to discuss my concerns now. Not a good start to a one year commitment. He then promptly said have a good day and hung up on me. Well, I now believe I dodged a bullet. If that's their recruiters, imagine what happens after you sign that contract. No thanks. I'm disappointed, but also relieved. They can keep their job.

6. goga

goga Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2021
    Earth..
    Yep, prime driver treatment from the Prime, Inc. :cool:

Geekonthestreet and jgtrucking Thank this.
  7. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    May I offer to you my personal, "Congratulations!!!"....:D:D:D :wav::hello1::hello1::hello1:

When I first applied to my "starter" company choices, Knight turned me down, flat (shaky job history--they didn't want a caregiver).

But now.....comes the hard part.

Being a first-year driver will truly test your mettle.

The wash-out rate for new drivers is something like 90%.

Best of luck to you, Driver! :salute:

--Lual

Geekonthestreet and jgtrucking Thank this.
  8. Kinsman

Kinsman Bobtail Member

Dec 23, 2021
    Montanny
    I'm with Wilson Logistics now. Much of their freight is with Prime, meaning there is plenty of it.

My recruiter was helpful and forthcoming during the initial phase.

A week at the yard, in class and on the practice pad. Then a week on the road with my trainer; back and passed my test on the first go-round. Now I'm about 70% done with my 30,000 with same trainer.

My impression is that Wilson wants to weed out the less desirable drivers and that suits me. The training is safety-oriented and quite good (though I've nothing to compare it to).

I get along well with my trainer so my 'C seat' is going well. I'm confident that When I head out on my own, I'll be ready for it.

I'm happy with my choice.

9. jgtrucking

Dec 25, 2021
    That's great. I wish you all the best. My recruiter at Prime was not a cool person at all.

Sirscrapntruckalot Thanks this.
  10. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    So is the one year contract to pay them back for CDL training, or something else?

As far as I know Swift does not require you to sign a contract, but they do deduct the cost of CDL training over the first year. And you will be responsible for the balance if you leave before it is paid.
    But if you stick around, they pay you back at the same rate over the second year.

jgtrucking Thanks this.
  11. jgtrucking

Dec 25, 2021
    Correct. No contract at Knight. I will be paying them $3K up front for CDL school. This way I don't have any commitments or deductions out of my check. If things go south for some reason, I can seek employment elsewhere with my paid for CDL.

Geekonthestreet and Moosetek13 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.