Prime or ?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Spencer422, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Spencer422

Spencer422 Bobtail Member

Aug 22, 2017
    Hey guys, thinking about heading to prime this winter to get into trucking. Other than prime, are there any other options, east coast, that might be better? Id like to be as close to home as possible once i get my cdl and out on my own. Not sure if i want to do refer, tanker or dry van. Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bigrayon

Bigrayon Road Train Member

Aug 16, 2015
    So you want to do flat then

4. Spencer422

Aug 22, 2017
    Thats right! No, i am leaning tword tanker. Talked to a few guys who liked tanker over the other jobs they had.

5. Spencer422

Aug 22, 2017
    Is there a list of companies with their own training like prime? I cant afford to pay upfront for a local cdl school. And would like to stay east of mississippi for ease of home time travel.

6. Bigrayon

Bigrayon Road Train Member

Aug 16, 2015
    I will make it easy for you when you want a company to pay for your cdl school you are setting up your self to be used like a Hooper, if you really want to become a driver with out been used look at Este are r/l are saia most of those guys will start you on there dock then teach you how to drive, you can put in your time there then retire from one of them, know if you must come out here you are better going to a local community college get a Grant load what ever, after school you can go with a company like dart you will have to go with a driver for x amount of time,

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Schneider Bulk is good for tanker training. They pay for CDL school and have their own school in Gary,IN.
    CTL Transportation pays for cdl school; I think it's C-1 cdl school.
    Prime is ok for food grade tanker.
    [​IMG]
    Schneider Bulk

8. Spencer422

Aug 22, 2017
    Thanks for the info chinatown

Chinatown Thanks this.
  9. The OK Trucker Dad

The OK Trucker Dad Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2017
    I'm in Prime's PSD program right now, and I would highly recommend it. For many reasons, but I'll list a few:

1. They are thorough. While the first part of training--the first week--is fast-paced, if you do your homework ahead of time and come in here knowing a few things, their program will build an excellent platform for your career. Altogether the training program is 1 week Orientation, 10,000 miles with a trainer, 30,000 miles with a co-driver trainer. Sounds like a lot, and it is, and it is what you need.

2. This goes with the first. They have a simulator lab worth 1.2 million and instructors who are very good, and while this isn't the same as being in a real truck, it makes the difference in preparation when getting behind the wheel of a real truck.

3. Pay. They provide room and food for the first week, and it is good food and a comfortable room. After the first week they advance you $200.00 per week for the duration of the 10,000 miles, for food and expenses. That is paid off in $25.00 per week installments taken out of your check during the next, 30,000 mile, phase, in which you get paid $700.00 per week. After you upgrade to solo driver, you get paid one of the highest CPM rates in the industry for a new driver.

4. They are an incredible company with great benefits.

Those are a few good reasons, but in the end it is only you who can answer what company is right for you. Research, research, research. And then practice for your permit test.

10. Hsauer87

Hsauer87 Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Parkton , North Carolina
    If you want to run flatbed, stay east of the mission and get home every single weekend , look into TMC . They have a cdl program where they will house you, feed you , and train you. . Just a thought.

11. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    Almost anything should be better.

flybynight12 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.