Prime will be installing camera's in its trucks. Just heard at Friday's Meeting....

Discussion in 'Prime' started by Prime-Mate, Jan 3, 2014.

1. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Been to a bank recently? Airlines have ####pit voice recorders, and some airlines use ####pit video monitors as well. Flight controllers at Mission Control in Houston? Yep, them too. Nuclear reactor operators are on video. To name a few.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Been in many banks and accounting offices, government offices and such. The cameras in banks are on the teller and open area. Certainly not on the management.

You name special entities. I mention as a whole.

You are a prime driver.

What is your opinion?

Professional or not?

Okay with the video monitoring?

4. Dinomite

Dinomite Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Looking 4 Rocks
    Maybe it will stop some of these trainers from running on their students log :)

5. ironpony

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    As I stated before, there are plenty of professional drivers at Prime... as well as aspiring ones. Am I okay with in-cab video monitoring? No, but they didn't ask my opinion either. OTOH, we operate on the public roadways, and all truck drivers are subject to a higher level of scrutiny while on-duty... with or without cameras.

Roadmedic... just because a carrier engages in training, doesn't necessarily mean it is a low-quality organization. It does mean there are drivers who because of their low experience levels are more prone to mistakes. It's also probable that the big letters on the side of the trailer make carriers with them more visible than an owner-op with a non-descript rented white box trailer.

FLATBED Thanks this.
  6. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    First off. You need to step back and review my posts.

I only mentioned professionals in response to another poster.

Second, I believe all truck drivers are professional.

Third, I have not said a thing about Prime and training.

Blow smoke toward someone else.

7. ironpony

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Your initial post gave the impression you meant otherwise. No offense meant, none taken.

FLATBED Thanks this.
  8. Chucktaylor

Chucktaylor Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Im waiting to hear for myself straight from the horses mouth. No offense to the OP but its possible he heard this deal wrong.

Ive been to a handful of Friday safety meeting in the last year and Safety has mentioned on a number of occasions the positive aspects of having your own dash cam. The idea of having one pointed at the driver is something new in this regards.

Safety has mentioned a number of times that driver who have got their own dash cams have been saved from tickets and proven a few points in a couple of accidents upon review. With my own ears, safety has suggested every driver get one as another tool to cover your butt.

Yes this could be a move for some sort of driver monitoring with a camera that points both directions, or maybe its just Prime installing a dash cam that only points forward. Or maybe its just an idea they're testing waters to get driver reaction.

If it does happen, it will probably take them forever to install them on existing trucks. Heck they kept pushing me out the terminal without installing the tire monitor for over a year because they were "too busy" Only after they had 3 tractor tire fires in one week on trucks without them did they finally make it a priority.

9. silenteagle

silenteagle Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Ozark, MO
    Robert Low just said that he was considering installing dash cams. He did not elaborate on a plan, but just put out that installing dash cams was being considered.

For the first time, I talked to him. I asked him if he would consider some way to incentivize drivers installing their own cams first. I really would rather have the control in my hands than the company. Also, it may infringe on the rights of independent contractors and bring the appearance of being company operators.

10. Chucktaylor

Chucktaylor Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Im all for installing ones pointing forward. Ive wanted to install one myself for a while now, just haven't found the right one.

Plus I heard CA is being their usual selves in all matters, requiring that they cannot be installed anywhere within the windshield wiper swipe or they will ticket. Again I heard that, don't know its fact. I imagine getting in accident with snow and ice and the camera being useless because of snow or ice buildup... or just plain salt and sand road grime.

11. slowpoke89

slowpoke89 Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Slowpoke land
    Goon you tube and there's all kinds of dash cam videos, mostly from Russia, as well as a lot of people using those "gopro" cams. Some pretty wild stuff. It's when the camera is turned on me and god forbid I'm munching on a quadruple whopper.:biggrin_2559:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.