Prime's lease deal. The math gets done.

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by BigKid2, Jan 16, 2009.

1. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Yes, they run everywhere... Alaska is probably an exception.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I've heard it's possible for company driver to see what the load pays if they ask their FM for the info. I'm not sure if it's a setting they can toggle to always send the info, or if they have to manually type in the info...

4. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    Yes you are correct, you can walk away from the walk away lease program at any time. If it's an Ace lease, Prime's name for lease purchase, you can only walk away from that at the end of the lease.

To Prime this is a business arrangement, plain and simple. It's up to you to operate your truck as efficent as possible to maximize your profits. That means not just relying on the fuel macro or route plan it suggests. Find the best prices on tires, fuel, pm's, maintenance. Sometimes that's at the termianl sometimes it's a detroit desiel shop.

Prime's system is setup so lease operators average around $1800/week after expenses. When you do the math you are making about $20k/year more than the average company driver at prime. That comparision is after taxes, benefits and regular deductions that a typical company driver at primes has witheld. That isn't a whole lot in the grand scheme of things, and that number could be less if you aren't good with your money and keeping expenses low.

Your fixed costs as a lease operator will be around $1300/week at the most. Find yourself a good accountant if you are not good at keeping track of your numbers and make sure they give you a weekly or monthly profit and loss statement so you can see the health of your company and see where you need make inmprovements or to tell if you're making money. Waiting until your taxes to figure out how well you did for profit is to late to find if you fracked up that year.

When I was company I would just send a qc message to my dispatcher and he would send me the numbers on each load I did.
    Yes they runn all 48 states and canada. Alaska is not a place Prime runs.

So 2 years ago I started a lease with Prime and I don't regret it at all. I just exercised my early buyout option last week and now own this truck, well own in the sence that I have a bank loan on it instead of the lease. It'll acually save me $24k a year by doing this option. My lease completing bonus was enough for the down payment as well even though I had the money for the downpayment saved up already.

5. Jilani

Jilani Bobtail Member

Nov 10, 2016
    Do you have any of their recruiters contact info? I'm looking into giving them a call soon.

6. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    No I don't. Just call the main switchboard and ask for recruiting or fill out an application online. My understanding is they really won't talk to you much on the phone until you have an application submitted.

7. Jilani

Jilani Bobtail Member

Nov 10, 2016
    Ok thanks

8. Youngtrucker19

Youngtrucker19 Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2013
    All I can say about a lot of these posts is you gotta be a business man first then a driver and different strokes for different folks not every company out here is going to be for everyone

9. Drybone001

Drybone001 Bobtail Member

Dec 10, 2017
    What are the lease trucks set at mph

10. pusherman

pusherman Medium Load Member

Jun 23, 2013
    I’ll bet 65 but encourage u to run 57-58 for fuel economy

11. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Well.
    I'm just shocked by the information in this thread.
    Shocked.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.