Prior conviction and cdl

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Seeker 66, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Seeker 66

Seeker 66 Bobtail Member

Jun 3, 2016
    Hello everyone. I'm thinking of going to my local CDL training school. I have two prior misdemeanor convictions for possession of marijuana. Last one was just over 7 years ago. Haven't messed around since then.
    A friend who I know was in same situation got through school and was hired by two different OTR companies. Know another person who was convicted felon for drug possession. He worked six months driving a dump for a local Mason. Then got his Hazmat and was hired into the union.
    I know I can get a job driving a dump truck local. But have my sights set on Class A. My problem is I cannot give up the decent job I have now just to be sent home at orientation. I have been told if I pay my training/dot physical/ by myself I'd be alright in getting hired. Anyone willing to share their personal experiences or advice?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You're hirable by many companies.
    Where is your location? We need to know the hiring area you live in. We can give you a few companies to contact and ask if they'll hire you when you graduate from cdl school.
    All trucking companies do drug test. Some do hair follicle (can look back 12 mos.) and some just do urine (look back 90 days).

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  4. SixShooterTransport

SixShooterTransport Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2018
    No personal experience with that, but a background check is a background check. It doesn’t matter if you pay for your own school or not, the company you apply to will be the one that makes the decision to hire you or not based on your record.

My advice would be to call the carriers you’re interested in working for and ask them now, before you sign up for school. Tell them about your record and ask if you would still be hireable. They have no interest in lying to you, since leading you on would be a waste of their time and money as well as yours. Be completely honest, because I guarantee you they will find out about it once you apply.

MrEd Thanks this.
  5. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Before you start applying, why don't you go to your local courthouse or go online to their website and find out how to get your convictions expunged.

It's not that hard to do it yourself and it will help you in your future job prospects.

6. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    I've been with 7 different companies through the years. I dont recall a single one of them asking about misdemeanors. They all asked about felonies though. I mean, heck, a jay-walking ticket is a misdemeanor.

That's not to say that whatever company you apply to won't check your arrest record though. Just saying they probably won't ASK you on an application.

7. My Dog

My Dog Light Load Member

Apr 19, 2018
    Your not very educated on urine test.
    Your either clean or your not. There is no 90 day look back on urine.

8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    OK, I'll phrase it differently; if a person has smoked pot within the last 90 days; don't take a urine test. Wait until you're clean 90 days.
    If you've smoked pot within the last 90 days, you may or may not test positive. There are many unemployed drivers that didn't wait the 90 days.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    De Trucker and MrEd Thank this.
  9. 12BSEEN

12BSEEN Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2018
    Sometimes 90 days is not long enough ...

Chinatown Thanks this.
  10. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Just to be more technical that time frame really depends more on the amount and grade of what you smoke. You take a puff or 2 and stop for several weeks I doubt it will be viable in high enough amounts to cause a positive. Remember trace amounts are OK provided they do not exceed the set amount. I would look up those amounts but it is not that important. I got a guy that lives in Williamsburg hired by Crete about a months ago. Before he left for orientation I asked him about his use. He said he pulled several puffs at a party in Norfolk about a month before. I advised him to wait, he went anyway. His tests came back negative.

11. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    *You're* either clean or youre not... for about 90 days. lol :rolleyes:

My Dog Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.