Private 3500 GMC HD pickup truck and 27' horse trailer

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Holli, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Holli

Holli Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2018
    As an equestrian, there seems to be no clear answers to any of our questions. I am a professional equestrian and as such am now required to get an ELD; however, my 3500 GMC HD Duramax Denali (which I do use to drive my four horse 27' gooseneck trailer to horse shows) is also my personal vehicle - which is 90%+ of the time. My question is: how do I tell an ELD when I'm actually hauling and when I'm driving my son to school (or the like)? Also, I don't need a system that tracks a fleet. It's one truck. Any suggestions on what to use? I generally travel two to three times a month for shows within 450 miles. My next big scheduled trip is to Aiken, SC (a good 11 hour trip for me from Ohio) and I really need answers before then.

Any answers will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jeff Waterstreet

Jeff Waterstreet Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Hello Holli,

Good news, you are exempt from needing an ELD. You can simply use paper logs on your 2-3 trips you make every month.

The ELD mandate states that if you drive 8 or less days per month on trips that fall under the federal HOS rules, you are not required to get an ELD. (but are still required to fill out paper logs while on those trips)

Actually, it is questionable whether you need to even log those trips at all, but I won't get into details or advise you of how to get around it, because once you cross state lines, you are at the mercy of whoever might inspect you. They might write you up anyway and you would have to go to that state to court to beat it. Much easier to simply carry paper and comply with the rules while on trips. Document very clearly each trip you make in a summary to prove you are only going 2-3 times a month. Might want to carry filled in log sheets going back 30 days (simple, straight line 1 on the weeks you are not going to shows...)

Holli Thanks this.
  4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Actually it states 8 days in every (rolling) 30. It's not per (calendar) month.
    Everything else is correct though.

Otherwise simply stay logged out of the ELD when on personal use. When you log in to do the commercial use, most (all?) will ask to assign the miles. Just tell it those are exempt miles.

Holli Thanks this.
  5. Holli

Holli Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Thank you very much for your answer!!! Could you tell me the section, or where to find "... if you drive 8 or less days per month ..." language in the rules? What I can't afford to happen (for my horses - stopping longer than 30 minutes can lead to disasters with restless horses) is to have a ticket happy trouper and not knowing the language of the law verbatim (which I have found helps greatly if pulled over for any reason). I haven't seen that specific language yet in any of my research (there is a lot of it we all in the industry are trying to get caught up on). Also, I will need to check whether the 8 days or less includes days at a show (most of the summer shows I attend are four days - so it will be four or five days before returning to the stable). I really appreciate your time and wish you and yours a very Happy New Year! Thank you :)

6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - ELD Rule

Specifically the Exemption area.
    What time periods can be used to determine the 8 days in any 30-day period?
    The 30-day period is not restricted to a single month, but applies to any 30-day period. For example, June 15 to July 15 is considered a 30-day period.

And if you want to get into the gritty part of the actual law, it's somewhere in eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations, but don't ask me where. :)

As for if it counts days at the show, I'm sure it will as that will fall unser the normal logging runes of:
    On-duty time means all time from the time a driver begins to work or is required to be in readiness to work until the time the driver is relieved from work and all responsibility for performing work. On-duty time shall include:
    (9) Performing any compensated work for a person who is not a motor carrier.

Holli Thanks this.
  7. Holli

Holli Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Also, while I'm throwing questions against the wall ... according to the overview of rules I have been reading (and because the black and white reading seems to contradict itself), it is reading that because: 1) I attend "rated" shows with my horses which I compete in; 2) that I compete professionally; and, 3) that those shows award prize money (of any kind or value), that the rules require an ELD regardless of whether I attend one show or 100. If anyone can point to the rules showing anything different, please ... please ... advise. Thank you.

8. Holli

Holli Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2018

9. Holli

Holli Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2018
    So, in other words, even though I'm hauling three horses for myself, the powers to be will count me as two people: 1) the competitor that owns the horses and 2) the carrier that has to be on duty for herself to haul the horses to and from (each of which is suppose to have her own clock). I should put a question mark after each, but don't want to burden you with the onus of having to answer such (what's the term? oh, that's right ...) ridiculous questions. Sorry, I understand some lobby is trying to make the roads safer for everyone, but when they jeopardize my ability to get my horses safely from point a to z and/or create laws making it ridiculously expensive to travel to and from shows [ie. just to go to Aiken is almost a 10 hour drive for me (whether with another driver or not) in under the best conditions - if traffic hits, they expect me to bed down in a hotel for 10 hours and leave my horses on a trailer in a parking lot to give them a ton of additional stress], I tend to get pissy. Thank you for answering my original question and I wish you and yours a very Happy New Year!

10. Holli

Holli Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Okay gentlemen, last question ... language within the laws states that a CDL is required at 26,000 pounds or more. However, the language appears to vacillate ... are they calculating GCWR or what the scales show fully loaded? The GCWR for my truck alone is 31,000 pounds and my trailer is 12,000 equaling 43,000 pounds; however, my truck weighs approximately 8,000 pounds and my trailer fully loaded (four horses and equipment) weighs roughly 11,000 pounds for a total of 19-20,000 pounds which is way under the 26,000 pound requirement. Any answers out there? Honestly, I wouldn't care about getting a CDL if it was 30 years ago and my insurance company actually appreciated them (I grew up on a farm and can pass the tests without question), but it's 2018 and insurance companies no longer look in favor when it comes to premium time. Again, thank you in advance for your time!

11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    GCWR. Not current weight.

You can have say 6000 pounds of boxes in a 34000 pound tractor trailer for a total of half the capacity of 80000 pounds roughly. It's still a CDL Class A vehicle by GCWR.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.