Private property driving with defibrillator

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by scooter11, Jun 12, 2018.

1. scooter11

scooter11 Bobtail Member

Jun 12, 2018
    yard jockey position moving equipment between manufacturing plant and warehouse. Can this be done on private property?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
  4. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    No CDL needed on private property.

5. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    If they have to go on the road, even 100 feet, they need a cdl.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  6. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Our yard jockey just has to go out of the driveway of our terminal, straight across the street into the shippers driveway. Probably 30 fett of public road. Back and forth. And he has to have a cdl.

CrappieJunkie Thanks this.
  7. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Yep. That is what I do. Im a yard jockey, our warehoise is next door to our drop lot. I go out the warehouse, go down a quartermile and then into the drop lot. I have to have a cdl-a.

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I had a hard time conceptulizing your situation with that pair of flawed sentances.

With that said, the closest yard jockey work I ever did was here in Jacksonville where a production building with a few dozen to 100 workers filled 25 trailers as fast as I can dock em there, then transferred them 1/4 mile down a public two lane state road to the shipping building and it's 20 docks and yard. Rotate 25 trailers as a full CDL driver.

If you are in need of a defib in the truck with you, that tells me you have some very big time heart issues for whatever kind you did not specify. Make sure you have someone with you at all times when working. There is no use when you drop with that old heart quit on you and no one around to defib you.

You want to do something else a little bit less physical and easy in your now and future. This is not work for a heart prone to going off it's timing track under work stress wherever it might be. Cranking a trailer is a momentary load in some cases capable of draining your heart of about half it's blood volume in a short time. That's one reason weight lifters who take too long on a big lift, say 500 pounds up overhead from ground pass out. Up down quick. If up and hold. Lights out.

Your heart will expand and change timing to refill those chambers. And possibly down you go if it loses it.

Ive said enough. Private property is where anything is possible. There is nothing you cannot do on private property. But You must never, ever, ever put one wheel onto a PUBLIC ROADWAY or COMMON ROAD. All of your work must be in the pure survey boundaries of your land and easements.

In short no CDL on private property. But all of it must be strictly private property.

Now...

If you are engaged in work that generates revenue for BUSINESS.. well that opens another can of worms. It's beyond me at this point. That is one reason CDL's are called "Commercial Licenses"

In my area, building people who have heart defects are eventually ordered by doctors to surrender any licensing they may have. Losing the ability to drive, fly etc. There are two neighbors who must have someone drive them now due to heart issues that will eventually kill them in enough time.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  9. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    True

CrappieJunkie Thanks this.
  10. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Pretty sure he means a "permanently " placed, internal defibrillator. My mom had a heart attack 3 nights after getting home from from a double bypass. She objected to having one installed until I told her it was the implant or asssisted living as I didn't want my sister to have to go through cpr again.

deathB4decaf and x1Heavy Thank this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I would like to encourage you assisted living done correct with respect and a touch of love is much better than a nursing home or what we call advanced care here (A secure facility where the dying are held under deep medication against will, having been sent there short term for very good medical reasons) It is not the same as hospice at home or other facility. There is also in that same south campus a another section behind three electromagnetically controlled doors to contain the Mental Health and involuntary holds 3 to 5 days.

I value independent living and giving up freedoms for any facility would speed my own demise.

I had some episodes of getting tachicardia as the doctors call it once or twice a year. To me the body feels like it's taking a car battery, two wires and shocking the heart which was essentially what's it done a couple of times in my life. It hurt. Which led to a visit to confirm with cardiologist.

I already have advance directives in place. When it's time, it's time. No heroics etc.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.