Prked region switch on 2011 prostar

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Rockinrandy, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Tazz

Tazz Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Lynchburg,Tn
    They sell those twenty and thirty year old mechanicals everday of the week feel free to go buy on e.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    If your truck doesn't need to do a parked regen, you can't do it. If the truck tells you to, IE, some other warning light/readout or the DPF switch lights up, then you do it. I have an '09 Mack, about once a week I have to do a partial parked regen, normally it will start to regen while driving but won't finish before I get to my destination.

Yeah, we've had a ton of problems with it also, but supposedly Mack (or at least my dealer) finally pulled their head out and fixed the problem.

4. ECU51

ECU51 Heavy Load Member

The regen will only work when you have a regen ligh on the dash,,park truck put in neutral ,,PUSH BUTTON,sit back for 15 20 mins(hope grass doesnt catch on fire,,LOL

sweetcakes,,idle less

Sidenote: drive a company 2012 Prostar with a Maxx Force,under nornal conditions regen will be done without you knowing it,,at highway speeds,,if you idel constantly(like summer months) every other day regen is normal,,idel less regen less,,and yeah otter was right flip your visor down

5. sweetcakes

sweetcakes Bobtail Member

ECU51, I don't idle more than 10 minutes, truck won't, and my FM gets on my back if I do. I'm just waiting for the ok to get service so I can get the issue corrected...I hope.

6. EZ Money

EZ Money Road Train Member

Something wrong with the EGR system on that truck.
    On my 2011 with the Cummins ISX i have 190k on it and have never had to do a parked regen.

My exhaust temp light comes on about once a day and it rolls the white smoke while it injects antifreeze and cleans the filter.

7. cruisecontrol

cruisecontrol Medium Load Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Rockingham, NC
    If its a company truck, and not turned up high enough, it wont work anyway. When the little light comes on the dash that looks kinda like a smoke stack blowing smoke out of it, and the warning triangle comes on. Its suppose to be done then. But, like the slow ### truck I drove, the park regen still wouldnt work cause the truck was turned down to low. If it stays on, the truck can lose pulling power, and the exhaust can get really hot. Really hot.

8. mitchtazz

mitchtazz Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Lake Wales, Fl
    same thing here, and thanks for letting me know what the random white smoke was. I get it usually when ever i'm climbing a hill, but if i'm in mountains for a day or two i'll never get it.. only when ever i go back up from florida do i get the white smoke. but i haven't noticed a loss in coolant though:biggrin_25513:

9. EZ Money

EZ Money Road Train Member

I have had to add just a little coolant 2 times since i got the truck.
    Mine does the same thing pulling a long grade. Sometimes it will smoke real heavy and no light on the dash will be on.
    It is doing the burn off though.

I came out of Naples Florida yesterday and mine did not come on until i got to NC. I seems like it takes spells where it does it 2 or 3 times a day then not at all for a couple days.....freakin computers..

One of our other trucks was constantly doing the regen....they had to replace the EGR on it.It was burning a couple gallons of AF a day.

10. mitchtazz

mitchtazz Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Lake Wales, Fl
    and so much for the lights, the only one i get to come on is the exhaust temp light, and it only does it when i'm running hard, and then just come to a random stop, like if i get off the interstate and have to wait at a light at the bottom of the ramp for a minute or two.. other then that my dash stays dark.. around 130k she was burning a gallon of AF a day, then it became a gallon of water a day (stop putting coolant in it. Terminal had me put it in the kenworth shop (guess their labor was cheaper then Int) and they said the egr cooler was dead and it was allowing all of my coolant to get burnt up by the exhaust.. so they replaced it and then i had a bad rough idle and random check engine light. Cummins mech at our terminal in Atlanta said the acuator for the egr valve took a dump and left it wide open which was causing the rough idle and random engine light/amber triangle. after all of that i haven't had any problems other then getting nails and stuff in my drive tires at these shippers and receivers.

11. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    Nonsense on the turned too low claim. Your truck would have to be turned down to 45mph for the auto regen to not work for that reason. When an auto regen is in process, the turbo will cycle if the engine speed can't keep the temp high enough to perform a burn. Trucks that need manual (parked) regen are usually local daycabs that make multiple stops every day and trucks that idle a lot.

If your highway truck that travels an hour or more on the highway without stopping is not doing auto regens, you need to get your truck fixed.

double_r and EZ Money Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.