Progressive, Northland, or Great West?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Beaver9, Jan 27, 2022.

1. Beaver9

Beaver9 Heavy Load Member

Jun 15, 2020
    If you would have a choice, which one you would go with if pricing would be close to one another?
    I got two quotes: Progressive and Northland

Northland is only $400 cheaper. Would you make a switch? Someone mentioned claims are easier with Northland. I do not do HAZMAT.
    Is Great West usually a bit cheaper? It's my third year. Would they even take me? Would you get a quote from Great West too?

Thank you all!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    I stayed with Progressive because of the extra cost Northland was gonna charge me when I got my new truck. If not for that I would have went with them. I am in my 3rd year as well. And Northland was about 400 cheaper for me.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  4. Beaver9

Jun 15, 2020
    I'm curious what happens if you do make a claim for towing with Northland?
    If you file a claim to cover towing costs, would they raise your insurance costs the following year and by how much?
    The Loss Run Report will most likely show the claim when you shop around. How much would you be penalized for something like that?
    If they will raise your insurance costs by $1,000 or more than it isn't worth it adding the towing coverage.

5. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    I have wondered the same thing. I often thought it was a catch 22 as they would for sure up the rate but who knows.

Beaver9 Thanks this.
  6. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Great West, Northland, Progressive

D.Tibbitt, Beaver9, larry2903 and 3 others Thank this.
  7. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I agree. I haven’t had any problems with Northland. I hear Great West is best. Maybe I’ll switch in the future. Depending on price. Nothing wrong with Progressive, but prices seem to always be a little bit higher than others.

8. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    What Dune said.

Not that you are going to hire a driver, add a truck, do haz mat, etc but Progressive is not good at all for those things. Also, if im not mistaken they have some commidity besides just haz that they dont cover.

D.Tibbitt, Orange713, Beaver9 and 3 others Thank this.
  9. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    Plenty of people have advised you to quote with Great West. You have so many threads asking essentially the same thing. What's holding you back? Do it. In fact quote all three and see what your options are. Sometimes, the bottom dollar isn't the best option either. Look at what your policy includes between them all. Keep that in mind.

Vampire, Beaver9 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  10. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    Progressive has other fees though that most don't even consider. As an example, they charge to add an Additional Insured while my insurance company does not. These little fees can add up over the course of a year.

11. Beaver9

Jun 15, 2020
    I checked with Progressive. They don't charge us to add Additional insureds more than $100 for the year. They don't charge for certificates.

I didn't actually get a quote from Great West. First agent said, Great West can't compete with Progressive's quote per underwriter.
    And two other agents don't work with Great West. I'm not sure why only limited agents work with Great West.
    I have to find a fourth agent to get an actual quote.

Vampire Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.