Proper etiquette, quitting one company, starting with another?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Lennythedriver, Jun 30, 2020.

1. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I never gave more than a weeks notice. They don't give you a notice when they fire you. If I already had another job, it was this,,,Johnny Paycheck got it right,,

Metalicious Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Back in the day, 2 weeks was the norm. While some companies, especially the smaller ones appreciate a notice. Most companies don't, you will get the crap loads, the people who aren't leaving will get the good ones. While you may feel loyal to the company you started with, your a body to fill a seat. Unless you plan on going back, I would turn the truck in and move to your new home

201 Thanks this.
  4. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Talk to me about it first. Then, give 2 weeks notice if you still want to leave.

Small 10 truck company.

5. jraulpilot1998

jraulpilot1998 Medium Load Member

Aug 20, 2014
    All over U.S.A
    I'm sure it is in your paperwork.
    2 wks notice not required.
    Position is at Will......
    Make sure everything is "straight" with you and the Company.
    Request return to Home base.
    Upon arrival clean your truck GOOD. (Take a few pictures, inside Cab and outside.)
    Call the shop for Visual Inspection and delivery paperwork. ( All companies have it).
    Then proceed to your Fleet manager and give him the news.
    Go to HR and give them the news.
    Hope your check makes it to your account. (Check it upon deposit)
    Turn the page and start your new adventure...!!

Aamcotrans Thanks this.
  6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I’ve always told a prospective Employer, that I will need to give a two week notice. They should respect that. Shows Responsibility. Then try to get out in 1 week. Start new Job a week early. Everyone’s happy.

Accidental Trucker Thanks this.
  7. Aamcotrans

Aamcotrans Road Train Member

May 24, 2016
    Strasburg, Va
    If you work for a mega, no notice. They will drop you like a lot lizard with no notice.
    If you are applying at a good company they won’t call your current employer until you are on your way to orientation or are already there.

650cat425 and Upinsmoke Thank this.
  8. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2019
    I believe in brutal honesty.
    Yell loud or they won't understand.
    Works every time.

9. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    So the consensus here is about 70% of you say no notice and 30% say I should give them two weeks. Stories about dispatchers and fleet managers intentionally driving you out into the middle of nowhere and then telling you to get off their truck in a vindictive move because you gave them a notice? So you see that invokes a response that I might describe as “old-school” that’s someone attacking me. If a dispatcher or company were to intentionally do that? I’d be up for a good ole fist fight. That’s just low!

and for those of you who have been through that scenario you have to ask yourself? anyone capable of doing something like that to a driver simply for quitting, you can bet they were ripping you off probably the entire time you work for them.

I’m just going to wait for my dispatcher to rip me off again and then clean out my truck and leave. He tends to do something blatantly, that cost me money about once every two weeks sometimes multiple times per week. And I get mad enough to walk. Lol so I’ll wait till he does it again.

10. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    When I was brand new driving I tried to quit my first trucking company, Werner. Gave them 2 weeks notice. Next day they made me relay my load to the Dallas terminal and upon entry, cut my Werner ID card, and said I had 2 hours to vacate the property or security will remove me.

I had to sell or throw away everything in my truck and then took a taxi to the airport and had to buy a last minute ticket back home to Maine.

These people basically stranded me 2,000 miles from home.

Redtwin Thanks this.
  11. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Here's your #### want me to leave it somewhere special for the new sucker

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.