Proposed HOS Replacement

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Michael H, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Michael H

Michael H Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Arizona
    Well, obviously there would be kinks to work out and I admit I didn’t think about teams. Local drivers who drive within a hundred or so mile radius and go home every night shouldn’t even have to be a part of HOS madness. But that’s just an opinion.

The point I’m trying to make is that you’ll never reduce accidents when people are chasing a clock or mile.

For the constructive criticism, thank you for your thoughts and input. I’m sure there’s a solution out there.

To those of you with nothing to add but your snarkiness, go piss up a rope.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Another "one-size-fits-all" plan ... what could possibly go wrong in this industry that has several hundred types of driving applications and scenarios?

They are on the right track and I think on the verge of implementing with a much more flexible means to get break time(s) completed. That will be a good start. Making tweaks on the edges is not going to help the congestion and road rage problems on the roads and in parking areas, though.

Most of the problems many identify in trucking today are here to stay.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  4. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    That will never work or be realistic unless the penalties and fines were strong enough to persuade people to stay within their limits. Like lifetime loss of license if an accident happened because of fatigue.

5. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Read all the posts from the window lickers about how elogs forces them to drive while tired.
    Can’t they say No?

6. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    With eld’s and everything else that is used to monitor drivers I don’t see why hourly pay can’t be realistic in the near future. We don’t have to run logs here but we do have gps in the truck so they can make sure we’re not milking the clock.

7. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    That should already be the penalty, if you can't park and sleep when you're tired you shouldn't be driving.

06driver Thanks this.
  8. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    I’m against splitting the 10 hour break up.
    Drivers will park for 3 hours then go and deliver and come back to a full truckstop to finish their break.
    And they won’t run any more miles a week because the 70 hour rule will limit that. All that’ll happen is it’ll ruin their break and they’ll have to pay for reserved parking.
    #winning?

9. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    It doesn’t make any difference how they pay. They are going to jigger the numbers to make it come out more or less the same all else being equal. In fact I’d argue most drivers moving from a cpm model to an hourly model will probably see their gross wages go down. Business is not stupid. They are not going to let their driver wages go up 10,15, 20% overnight as you’re thinking is going to happen.

Detention time at shippers and receivers could possibly be addressed with an hourly supplement in some OTR applications. But honestly, who wants to pay an employee to nap and play Angry Birds except perhaps unionized places? I just don’t see that happening on a broad scale from a practical standpoint.

But, a few places are doing this (paying automatic detention) but guess what? their overall pay model leaves these drivers making less then could be made elsewhere without such a gimmick. But we have options. If hourly pay is what you want, those jobs are available. If you want automatic detention and paid half wages to not produce while the chain requirement is active, those places exist, too. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out and don’t come back.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  10. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    I didn’t say wages would increase. I just said hours could be easily tracked with eld’s. I’m smart enough to know that they’d work it to where pay would basically be the same. I only brought up hourly because the thought of maximum miles for the day as a basis for hours of service is absurd for the most part.

11. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Only been in this game 8 months.

Get rid of the 30 minute break . That is the biggest issue that screws with me on a regular basis.

Let me Park my 14

Friking Morons that dreamed up this Krap

We should make all of them live their lives off this Frikin Clock

12. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    This idea is not worthy of my vote

Bean Jr. and Dan.S Thank this.
  13. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Best reply ever to why HOS exists

MartinFromBC and Dan.S Thank this.
  14. Triple Digit Bullhauler

Triple Digit Bullhauler Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2012
    001 anywhere USA
    Michael

The issue is that the D.O.T cannot make a decision without taking 6 months+/- to decide. Safety today is a total joke as it involves the H.O.S regulations. The real issues are driver whom do stupid crap (see youtube ) and watch those videos of travel plaza accidents, on highway accidents, and so forth.

Safety is the main focus of the D.O.T, and all the safety special interest groups out after our hides. This was due to our own doing over the last 30+ years, or so. Whether you all want to admit it or be in denial. We have all seen in our careers the stupid acts, and dumb ****. This was a huge contributing factor to more stringent regulations and new hours of service changes. We have seen where the Secretary of Transportation Chen, and the head of the FMSCA Ray Martinez. Are listening more to the drivers, company owners and the industry as a whole as it pertains to H.O.S, ELD usage, and a host of other issues.
    AS to an hourly rate for drivers. This would only make it more confusing, unfair to a certain select group of drivers (local, dedicated, and regional) compared to the OTR drivers. The solution is either to take both sides of the issues for and against H.O.S, and a host of other issues. Go back to the old H.O.S regulations. All the newly implemented safety devices, and regulations have made no real stride in safety. No matter what we do in this industry towards safety, hours of service, technological devices, electronics. We cannot control an individual's behavior, actions, or personal demons they may be fighting with internally.

Bean Jr. and Dan.S Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.