Pros and Cons: Company Driver vs. Lease Operator

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by 8-j, Jan 7, 2014.

1. 8-j

8-j Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Please let us not compare against owner operator. I don't forsee that for myself very soon. You need quite a large down payment and I'm barely making 600 a week. I think in three months I've managed to save all of 1000 dollars (had a bit over 2000 before Christmas... but it was Christmas after all.) I'm in flatbed now, so if I went lease operator I'd probably prefer to work for freight instead of mileage.

The main issue, though, is : would I do better as a lease operator? I can pull easily in excess of 2500 miles a week (especially if I get to choose my loads). Another poster suggested on another thread that if you cross that line working in lease for miles, then you're usually making more money on lease than you would as a company driver. However, if you're working for freight it's no longer all about miles.

I really have to think about this. Which way to go? I've seen some pretty good company driver jobs I can move to. I'm not really happy at my present job, just because of the money. I'm barely earning more as a flatbed driver than I did as a reefer driver, .... and it's a lot more work. Arguably I'm making less because I don't always get the miles, since the shippers aren't open at night, nor are there any dispatchers on at night.

I just don't want to jump around too much. If you try everything, and every company, then your resume starts to look like a patchwork quilt. And certainly if I do go lease I'd want to stick around long enough to finish the lease.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JR OTR

JR OTR Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2009
    It is a common misperception that lease operators do better (or at least better than company drivers) by focusing on miles rather than profit. During the four years I leased my current truck I only averaged 2,318 miles per week and was generally home every other weekend for three days yet I took home a bit more than $65,000 per year on average before taxes but after all truck expenses.

It sounds to me like your problem is making a good living as a company driver. If you are working OTR full time and can't bring in at least 900-1100 per week on average then the problem wouldn't be made better by leasing, in my view. I would consider altering the way you work or the company you work for long before advocating a lease situation.

Good luck,

Jim

4. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    I am a "Choice" lease driver for Schneider and couldn't be happier.
    The term 'choice' is really appropriate because literally, that's what you do.....everything is up to you. You pick the load, you pick the route, you decide how long you're going to stay out, you choose how long you're going to be home. I really like Schneider because it's all up to me. Many or most lease / OO plans are still dispatched by a central dispatch, or in the case of Swift, they give you a couple of options. At SNI, I bring up the load board for where I am or where I'm going and choose my load based on rate, how much it weighs, where it's going, when it has to be there, and how much freight is coming out of where it's going.
    As far as money goes, it can fluctuate depending on all of the factors above. My best week was $2200, my worst was -$200 (Thanksgiving week). My typical week (if I run all 7 days) is in the $1500 - $1800 range.....a short week (going home or coming back out week) will be in the $800 - $1000 range.
    Another thing is that there are no surprises (except for IFTA taxes once a month which usually run in the $75 range). I keep track of my loads and my fuel and I can tell you within $50 or so what my next check will be. The deductions are set and all the same week in and week out.
    Last year I was on the program for 6 months and I did $100k in revenue. Of that $100k, $35k was mine. This year should be a bit better because I've come around the 'learning curve' a bit and will make some better decisions......so, I'll probably do around $80k this year on $200+k in revenue (at least that's my plan).
    Look around on these boards and on the Schneider board. There's lots of information posted.....I know because I've posted a bunch. Good luck and happy trails.

hi beam Thanks this.
  5. KE5WDP

KE5WDP Road Train Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Caddo Lake, Texas
    I would say that if you are just saving for a down payment, you are setting up for failure. I say the ideal starting point is 15k to 20k or better. Why? You just never know. Better to be safe and keep your house....just sayin...

6. hi beam

hi beam Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2013
    I think most L/O fail because they are underfunded, no business plan, and jump into L/P too soon after
    becoming a driver.. Usually takes a couple years too begin to understand the trucking business...
    Learning to drive is the easy part on the road to becoming a L/O or O/O...

Too many forget to save their money, and buy too much eye-candy for their trucks that don't help the
    bottom line... Seen it as an O/O when I was trucking... Guys get those large settlements and hit the chrome
    shop and add a lot of Xmas lites... That doesn't help the bottom line when you are starting a business...

There are L/O on this board that do very well.. Follow there advice, read their posts.. There are always going
    to be people that say it won't work.. Most of the time, they are right because too many jump into L/O without
    doing their homework, savings, and having a business plan.

7. rickybobby

rickybobby Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    greensboro, nc
    If you going to do a L/P, make sure you have enough money saved for emergencies.

8. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    don't lease with trans am
    19 months I only had 3 checks that averaged over the $.30/ mile company drivers get
    with all the headaches and no benefits

9. RizenPhoenix

RizenPhoenix Road Train Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I'd agree, if you can't afford an inframe out of pocket your not financially ready to be an O/O. Some L/O programs have a safety net built in but YMMV from program to program.

10. Warrior's Lance

Warrior's Lance Light Load Member

Mar 15, 2012
    NW Indiana
  11. Preacher Man

Preacher Man Road Train Member

May 31, 2008
    Mason City, IL
    If you are looking to the short term then I would say you are better off remaining a company driver. If you are looking forward 5-10 years then doing a good lease purchase is the way to go. To the above statements there are a number of caveats. How old is the truck? How good is the lease deal? Do you have a mind for business? Are you in this for the long haul? I could go on, but the main thing to keep in mind is that you are a business owner with all the headaches that go with it when you lease a truck.

Suddenly you find you don't need a governed truck to make you slow down, the fuel pump does it instead. The difference to your bottom line between 65 and 58 can be over $100 a week. If you don't understand that then I wouldn't go down the ownership road. When you have down time so you go in for a simple pm and the threads come out with the oil plug, are you ready for the $1800 repair bill and the 3 days of down time? Yes the company will front you the money if needed and get you back on the road, but now you are looking at 2-3 weeks of negative settlements. I have spent over $10 grand a year over the past 2 years in maintenance costs. The result has been a revamp of my home to road schedule. Still I would do it again.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.