Pros and Cons for Major Carriers Using Owner Operators Rather Than Employee Drivers?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Deuces Wild 222, Jan 8, 2024.

1. Deuces Wild 222

Deuces Wild 222 Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2023
    Hello. What are the reasons major carriers use owner operators for "local" work rather than employee drivers?
    1) Is it circumstantial? For example: a company has a lot of work and not enough employed drivers at the time?
    2) Could it also be that companies save more money paying owner operators rather than employed drivers because they have to deal with benefits and whatever else?

What are the reasons major carriers hire employee drivers over owner operators?
    1) Is it because the company feels like they have more control of each load as far as how it is being shipped with their own drivers?
    2) Is it also a reputable thing for each load when it is their logo on the trucks moving their loads?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NorthEastTrucker

NorthEastTrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 21, 2019
    When I was working for a unionized company a few years ago, the company thought it was way better and they were savng money I was told by Management then. Larger Carriers along with some smaller one look at the wear & tear factors pinching the dimes & nickels on saving cash expenses. When looking at it on a larger scale, those dimes & nickels turn into hundreds of thousands of dollars with longevity.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2024
  4. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Hire an owner operator: it's his problem to fix the truck. You can also fire them without cause since it's a business hiring a business not an employer/employee relationship. You do not need to deduct payroll taxes, workers comp, any of that. Your expected profit for moving loads may be smaller than using a company driver/truck, but your risk is lower as well. The money in owning equipment is in the trailers. Trucks cost you money. Problem is without trucks trailers are useless.

5. Albertaflatbed

Albertaflatbed Light Load Member

Nov 20, 2022
    Nisku, AB
    Using owner/operators allows flexibility as well. When freight is slow you are not carrying company drivers who are not being worked and not getting paid. Simply don't run the owner/operator.

Where I work, we have a handful of linehaul drivers for the priority and customer sensitive loads. We are paid top dollar and other than myself (recent new hire), they have been here years.when it's slow we run all the freight and the owner/operator doesn't get called. Keeps company drivers happy and no staffing issues from guys getting no or low pay.

Anything and everything else we use owner/operators.

6. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    My company is a medium size van LTL company, with terminals across Canada (300 trucks, 700 trailers).

The majority of our highway trucks, are leased on O/Os. They seem to work out better than company highway trucks, as guys take better care of their own equipment, and tend to be more professional. Also if they breakdown far from home, they do a better job of getting going again, compared to company drivers. (I would say highway, we’re 25% company trucks and 75% O/O, all of our LCV trucks are O/O)

Local/City is the opposite, the company guys do a much better job, and the O/Os drag ###, run scrap metal trucks, constantly #####, are always trying to hire guys to drive their trucks, trying to steal fuel when no one is looking etc etc. 75% of our local guys are company, with 25% O/O. There are talks ongoing, of moving to 90% Company Daycabs, and only 10% local O/O.

ABL O/Os (GRH, Dawn Gordon, XXX/A1 etc etc) get used to scale local and regional capacity. 99% of the time, they do power only, pulling our trailers/freight. We try to avoid using them as much as possible, as they cause a lot of claims/damage/pissed off customers. But they’re only a call away, for one low low price, with 0 commitment.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.