Pros and Cons of Reefers

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by sadears, Feb 2, 2010.

1. marmonman

marmonman Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    central illinois
    Pulling a refer is a lot like being in the service!

It is a lot of hurry up and wait. If it rains you cant load now cause they cant pick .
    It is we cant load you yet the product is in the cooler it needs to cool down before we load ya .
    It is go make these 3 picks and call me in the morning .
    It is I thought you said you could scale 44,000? Oh ya I forgot that is just product weight not iced down weight .
    Are loaded yet what is taking so long the shipper said you left ready!
    And favorite is I know it is Tuesday evening but I got you an appointment for friday morning at 3:30 am in Chicago you can make that cant ya ?
    Other than that crap I don't miss pulling a refer at all :biggrin_25523:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Texas-Nana

Texas-Nana Princess Drives-a-Lot

Apr 23, 2008
    Nana's empty nest
    I like pulling reefers. I enjoy the constant noise. LOL Okay so I don't enjoy the noise but I've adapted and hardly notice it now.

4. twofoot

twofoot Bobtail Member

Feb 6, 2010
    cabot, ar
    Biggest pro for reefers is that no matter what else happens with the economy, people still have to eat.

5. scurvydog

scurvydog Light Load Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    But people pay more for what they dont need.........makes sense....right?:biggrin_2552:

6. vaquero

vaquero Light Load Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Cleveland, TN
    I pulled a reefer for 15yrs, pulled a flatbed for 10yrs before that, went back to pulling a flatbed. Reefers almost always got to be washed out before you pick up your next load and if one breaks down it's up to you to get it somewhere to be repaired. If you have a frozen load you may have 4hrs before you lose the load.

7. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO

I had the moron general manager of CXI tell me one time after he tried to charge me for a bad load or "loaded hot" load that "oh, these "new" trailers hold their temperatures for a good 12 hours before they start to warm up." The only thing was, there wasn't a "NEW" trailer in the fleet unless you consider 5 years old new! I took him at his word and started to turn them off at night! Well he's the GM and knew everything about trucking! Well that is until him and one of the sons ran that company into the ground! The key word here is CXI! You haven't seen them around for a few years or their NEW name since last year! They do have a nice yard and office/shop for sale here in town for anyone interested in starting up a trucking company! ROFLMFAO!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.