Pros and cons of working for Bimbo and Flowers Bakery

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by amiller, Feb 11, 2018.

1. amiller

amiller Medium Load Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    It has been a long time since I've posted on here mostly due to the weird and long hours working for these two bakeries for the last three years. From 2015-2017 I worked for Saddle Creek out of Harrisburg, NC on the Bimbo account. From 2017-current I have worked for First Fleet out of Newton, NC on the Flowers account. Both jobs are similar and different in many ways which is what I will go over in this thread. As a caution I will mention that I am looking to enter LTL next month but the point of this thread is to offer insight into the Bakery version of local trucking.
    Saddle Creek Bimbo account- This position requires two years of driving experience for eligibility and it was my first local job. The job mostly dispatches from 3pm-5pm during the slower months (end of fall through early spring) and from 5pm-10pm during the busiest months (late spring through fall). The inconsistent dispatch times are just a part of the job but I will say that it's more manageable at Saddle Creek because they are independent of Bimbo at the Harrisburg, NC location. At this location, it serves as a warehouse with multiple accounts and allows Saddle Creek more flexibility with managing loads. This position at Saddle Creek is easier than at First Fleet because all you have to do is roll stacks of bread product off the trailer and sometimes pallets and also reload the trailer with empty tray stacks. Bread tray stacks are 17 trays high, bun tray stacks are 20 trays high, and bulk restaurant bun tray stacks are 30 trays high. Even with this being the easier of the two jobs it is still hard on the body. Finger, wrists, shoulder, hands, back, knee, and other injuries are common. Depending on which route you're on determines your pay and typically you work around 10 hour days. Almost all drivers average 50k annually gross.
    First Fleet Flowers account- this position requires one year of driving experience although we have had some come in our new driver program with less experience. This position has a high turnover rate and is truly hard work. The dispatch times here are the same as previously mentioned but on this account the terminal is based out of Flowers bakery in Newton, NC which doesn't allow First Fleet any flexibility in managing loads. This means that during a snow storm you are at the mercy of the bakery and that does mean that you will work no matter what and with dispatch times being however late. Flowers does not cut the drivers early no matter how the weather is or how late it is you just have to wait. Again Saddle Creek had more flexibility in this regard. This position requires the use of a hand dolly to roll off product stacks (sizes aforementioned above) and most warehouses do not have pallet jacks so you will have to break down pallets using the hand dolly. The pay at this location fluctuates tremendously as you are paid on a piece rate. The slower months decrease your pay while the busier months increase your pay. Drivers here average 60k annually gross working 12 hours average daily. Both jobs have Tuesdays and Saturdays off although many times your shifts will flow into your days off which makes it feel like you don't have any days off. Both jobs have the same common injuries but at First Fleet shoulder injuries (rotator cuffs) are the most common major injury. All in all I have enjoyed both positions mostly because once you leave the terminal you are left alone to do your job. You don't have anyone over your shoulder hassling you about anything. I always listen to music or talk on the phone while I'm unloading and loading trailers. Injuries and pay ceiling are the two main reasons why I am looking to get out of this section of trucking but I think that it's a good start for someone looking for something local, home every night, and $1k+ paycheck every week.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    NFI does the local Bimbo bakery, and warehouse. They are always looking for drivers.

4. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    I haul out of my local Bimbo bakery, but I have a 12 noon start time every day regardless of which load is ready.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.