Pros of a CB radio?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by dboot01, Dec 2, 2021.

1. Slowpoke KW

Slowpoke KW Road Train Member

Dec 7, 2015
    OK
    So that’s why you can’t keep your truck in the lane, your checking traffic on your phone.

Will your phone tell you that you just run someone off the road while you where looking at it?

JolliRoger, Numb, Diesel Dave and 4 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TheLoadOut

TheLoadOut Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2019
    There are no "cons" to having a cb. If you've ever watched the video of the pileup on I-80 in Wyoming back in April of 2015, that's one of the best advertisements for having one in the truck, ON at all times.

4. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

If you have a CB you always have the option of using it. If you have no CB you can never turn it on. I got good "heads up" driving with chains in winter weather. That info can't be found on any phone app. I challenge you to tell the truck in front or behind you he is dragging a strap using your phone app.

Cowboyrich, JolliRoger, Numb and 7 others Thank this.
  5. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    Is that already that long ago?
    Or were there 2 more recent than 2015?

If I’m thinking of the same one where the gal video taped it and sounded like bowling then I’m getting old fast
    Seems like 3 years ago

Time be a flyin’

TheLoadOut, Oxbow and Boondock Thank this.
  6. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    I’ve tried that only to find out they don’t run one
    I’ve even pulled along side them. Hit my train horns and showed them my CB mic

Some of the. “WTH is that “ looks I’ve seen
    Amazing!

7. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    I 94 right under Lake Michigan, Gary In to Benton Harbor Mi can go white out in seconds. There's been 50+ vehicle pileups in the recent past

8. TheLoadOut

TheLoadOut Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2019
    Yep, the one with all the sound of cracking plastic and fiberglass

Boondock and GYPSY65 Thank this.
  9. JolliRoger

JolliRoger Road Train Member

May 8, 2007
    Mississippi
    Interesting discussion. Reminds me of how much I would have liked one in the 50's. Radar just coming in to LEO use.
    Flipping the headlights twice; or presenting two finger's as you met, to signal oncoming trucks of radar or a bear or a hazard/accident just ahead.
    Running VA on old three lane US11. Giving/looking for the old VA Highball (hand extended, forefinger pointing out, and finger twirling - wind it on).
    Our problem was you knew something was up, just did not know if over/around the next or ten miles further. I was running this way 50 to 58, an would have been nice to be able to talk to others to advise details. But, ya know...We trucked on as best we could under these handicaps. 5 speeds, 20" rubber, 6 volts.
    Not like now, when you can be made aware of the one in front slowing/or too close, and you are told there is something alongside (on both sides).
    Must be nice to sit slumped, cruise on 72, 450 HP scurrying along, lots of places 3 nice lanes going your way, and not having to be concerned with calculating
    matching speeds or flicking the mirrors for tucked in images... Got all these indicators. Must be hard to stay awake, like a sample of driverless to come.

10. stacks

stacks Road Train Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Emerald Isle
    For the Non Knuckleheads out there driving they are a very valuable tool

Numb, Cowboyrich, jason6541 and 4 others Thank this.
  11. pagan22

pagan22 Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Alabama
    I haven't run with a CB in probably 9 years. I haven't needed one and I never get to hear about someone not having panties on.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.