2013 Prostar no idle hvac no power

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by SK8orDIE, Jan 19, 2019.

1. SK8orDIE

SK8orDIE Bobtail Member

Aug 28, 2018
    I have a 2013 prostar+ with the battery APU unit. I recently had an update while at the dealership for the HVAC but after leaving my no idle heater and AC do not work. Checked fuses in bunk and dash and all seem ok. Also, and may be unrelated, my engine is derating again and not getting boost. I just had fuel rail and fuel pump replaced in the last month. Engine ran fine until now. No codes. Thoughts? Freezing my ### off at night because I hate idling engine with egr. Please help!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    There are two sugar cube sized fuses that supply to the no-idle system from usually your rear set of batteries, check those to make sure they didn't forget to reconnect them.

4. SK8orDIE

SK8orDIE Bobtail Member

Aug 28, 2018
    Ok. They are connected... the bigger issue has turned out to be the derate. In the last couple hours it has gone bad quickly. New symptoms with derate are fuel filter filled much higher than normal, engine fan acting sporadic and mpg all over the place. I seem to be burning fuel at a record pace as well. I have now averaged 3.5 mpg over the last 600 miles. Any ideas what would cause this?

5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Probably no boost, plugged aftertreatment.

SK8orDIE Thanks this.
  6. SK8orDIE

SK8orDIE Bobtail Member

Aug 28, 2018
    Can this be cleared with a forced regen? Or do I need to have DPF filter cleaned?

7. ebill45

ebill45 Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2011
    dalton ga
    It’s got have a code if it’s derrating. If the Davco is full of fuel the fuel filter is plugged up.

SK8orDIE Thanks this.
  8. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    You didn't say, but do you have a check engine light? If you do, then like ebill said, something is causing the derate. Eventually, low boost, restricted exhaust, low fuel pressure will all set a code. It also depends what you are experiencing. An actual derate situation is because the engine has detected operation that is not normal. This always sets the warning light and logs a code. If you are just experiencing low power, then usually boost or plugged after treatment is the culprit, but it isn't long before a code gets set with this too. Usually when normal regens during driving can no longer keep up it is due to something wrong and a plugged DPF is possible. Doing forced regens only buys you some time before this repeats itself. One way or the other, you need to have this looked at.

SK8orDIE Thanks this.
  9. SK8orDIE

SK8orDIE Bobtail Member

Aug 28, 2018
    No check engine light. It may be a combo of both of the above. I went to Houston this week and I don't normally go south. I'm sure I bought some fuel that was not winterized. Also had a regen earlier this week, but it shut off after only about 5 minutes. Didn't feel like it was completed when it ended. I'll look into both. Thanks for the advice.

10. SK8orDIE

SK8orDIE Bobtail Member

Aug 28, 2018
    Ok... so replaced fuel filters, did forced regen (although it was only showing 10%) still no change. No boost and Mpg still in mid 3's. Engine fan still sporadic. Noticed a shudder when warming up at high idle. Still no codes. So thinking maybe a bad injector? Bad fuel pressure regulator? Air pressure sensor? Hate to keep throwing money at this thing as its been a money pit already. Oil is good but getting dark, no metal or diesel in oil. No excessive burning and at 12k since last change. Doing a PM next week since most filters are new at this point. Please send your thoughts (or maybe prayers). Thanks again.

11. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    You are sort of stuck with not further repair direction if you don't want to see a tech who knows these engines. You have an electronic engine and a laptop is the first tool I grab to see what is going on. I would connect to it and do 0-60 mph snapshot which records all the engine performance parameters and evaluate them to see what is off and go from there. I recommend finding someone who knows your engine and the proper diagnostic program called, "Navistar Engine Diagnostics". With out that, you are really just guessing and hoping to get lucky.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.