~ Prostar OR Cascadia ~

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by koolest15, Mar 14, 2011.

1. koolest15

koolest15 Bobtail Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Alright well what truck would you buy if you needed a fleet truck with 6-7 + MPG??

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hardlyevr

Hardlyevr Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Mapleton Depot,PA
    Given the choice between a Prostar and a Cascadia, I'd go with the Freightliner, bigger dealership and service network, and now you can get one with a Cummins ISX and be able to use that entire network for engine service too.

4. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

Sure it's apples and oranges, but I'd never start up a company with an entirely new fleet. After the vicious downsizing of the last few years, I'm sure you could pick up a few trucks at auction. (Perhaps the old Arrow trucks?)

I saw something similar happen in the limo buisness about 12 years ago. A driver's mother died and left him a sizable inheritance. He quit the fleet he was driving for, bought 2 showroom new Lincoln Towncars and opened his own office.

Sad ending is, he was out of cash in about 6 months. He didn't have enough cars to cover his customers, one of the guys he hired wrecked one of his cars, and he couldn't afford to keep his office open (he was paying way to much for that anyway, too much room and he decorated it)

The company I work for has about 20 power units. 3-4 owner operators with their own tractors, 3 power units owned by the boss, the balance is leased though Penske and Ryder's buisness services unit. It's not a bad deal, we get full shop access, replacement units for downtime, and we can rent extra units durring times of peak demand.

I don't know if they offer this service in Canada but I'd recomend check it out.

(also I'm a bit of a International lover, but I find the 9400's are more reliable than the Pro-stars which can be a bit buggy. We use Columbia's at my company but I've yet to drive a Cascadia)

good luck,

5. padriver87

padriver87 Light Load Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Sykesville PA
    I drive a 2010 Pro Star with a 450 cummins and a 10 speed eaton fuller it does about 7.5 MPG and has plenty of power as for the noise issue mentioned earlier Its not any louder than anything else iv drove hope this helps you.

6. Mack185

Mack185 Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2008

Exactly right. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that you'd have more problems out of a 2010/11 then an 04.

My company bought 3 new trucks in 08 and the owner actually joked that he was just gonna let them go back to the bank lol. They always had issues and thats why they are keeping all the pre emissions paid for trucks until they fall apart. The drivers ##### and moan about driving old trucks but drivers ##### and moan about everything ;)

7. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    I have to agree..... I had a 99 FLD for the last 7yrs. I had NO maintance beside PM's and brakes for 6yrs (even the 726EL lasted 6yrs). In the last year, i replaced just about everything on the truck for a grand total of just under $20k and now it is all brand new......then stupidly, I traded the truck on a 2006 387 which I have already put $1500 into and only had it a month!!!! Hind-sight is 20/20

8. REDD

REDD The Legend

Jun 29, 2009
    Dueling Banjoville
    Your best bet is to buy older trucks with CASH and save the $1500 to $2000 dollar a month truck payment for maintnance.

But what do I know?

9. pullingtrucker

pullingtrucker Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Fostoria, Ohio
    If it were my money and company I would go with a glider kit (1st choice is a Low Max Western Star, but for a fleet ride a Freightliner Coronado) and have it assembled with a 6NZ, MXS, or NXS CAT engine. Behind it I would have a 18 speed and whatever gears I need to put the performance where I need it. Also the truck would be equiped with a Tri-pac, fridge, a few other goodies to help out the driver and my pocket book. At least here you would have a new truck that you know exactly whats in it, no more emission stuf than what is needed at this time, better MPG, happier drivers, and the truck can actually be worked on with out spending 2 hours removing stuff to do a 15 min job. I highly suggest like the others have, get out and get your hands dirty in this business first. Until you have driven, worked on , and done the book work a person has no idea what is involved...it's not just a business or job for many of use o/o, it's a lifestyle. Plus I hold much more respect for owners that have done the work I listed cause it shows they understand the problems.

10. russtrucker

russtrucker Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Central PA
    koolest, glider kit trucks can go to your fleet. Cost 30% cheaper than any epa newer trucks. Reman engines, reman transmission, reman axle. Detroit Series 60 12.7L non-egr all the way along with CAT C-15 single turbo.

11. russtrucker

russtrucker Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Central PA
    agree with you pullingtrucker!!!!!!!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.