Prostar with Maxxforce 13 hard to start

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by WalterSobchak, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Villagedrnk

Villagedrnk Bobtail Member

Mar 31, 2019
    Another place to check is the fuel lines going into the fuel tanks they have a plastic funky grip and slip lock system I had one break the other day took me a bit to find it but if one of the tabs is broken or the fitting is cracked will suck air and lose prime

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. avgdzlmekanic

avgdzlmekanic Light Load Member

Jun 8, 2019
    SoCal
    Hey HeavyD,
    How would I know if the fuel pump is getting weak and isn’t drawing enough fuel on its own? My truck with a MF13 will take about 15-20 seconds on the second crank to start up in the mornings, but will run fine once started. If I turn the tractor off and then go to start again within a couple min, the truck starts up pretty quick. If I leave tractor off for about 30 min, it will take about 15-20 sec to start up. I live in Southern California, so I don’t deal with cold weather.

4. avgdzlmekanic

Jun 8, 2019
    SoCal
    UPDATE: So after I posted my last message to you, I realized that the hpfp is brand new. Only a couple weeks old. I took the truck out for a test drive and checked the specs on the hpfp with 100% load and the high pressure part of the fuel pump is running healthy (according to the specs you've posted on a different thread). So I brought truck back to shop and let it sit for a couple hours. I tried to start it up and wouldnt start quickly. I hooked up the laptop and ran NED. I cranked until it started while watching the specs. I found out that the "Fuel Delivery Pressure" stayed at 0-1 psi until the truck started and then it jumped up to 10-15psi imediately and then kept going up until now where it's idling at 85-90psi. Also, the oil pressure was at 0-1 psi while cranking. Now that it's idling, the oil pressure is at a steady 28psi at 139 degrees.

Can it be a faulty low pressure fuel pump even though it was just replaced?

Just for info, when I did the hpfp, i also changed out the fuel check valve right before.

5. avgdzlmekanic

Jun 8, 2019
    SoCal
    Update on my previous update: I figured out the problem for my truck with a MF13. After about 30 min or so it would take about 15-20 seconds to start, if i was lucky. I recently replaced the hpfp and check valve, so i know those were good (unless i had a faulty fuel pump). The weird thing that i noticed is that the fuel filter housing would still have fuel in it about 1/4 of the way up. Normally, when I had a fuel pump issue, the fuel housing would run dry. Anyway, I found the hose that went from the fuel filter housing (the filter that is mounted to the exterior of the chassis) to the manual hand primer pump had a cut in it and it was leaking fluid/letting in air into the system. I replaced the hose and truck has been starting good since.

Heavyd and QUALITYTRUCK Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.