Protecting your CDL while driving a personal vehicle

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Nahbrown, Apr 2, 2023.

1. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    The cars with the plastic master cylinder , only have one reservoir.

both of the times I’ve had a line pop, both vehicle had plastic reservoirs, and NO brakes on either axle .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Title 40 Chapter 14 of the Georgia code

(a) No county, city, or campus officer shall be allowed to make a case based on the use of any speed detection device, unless the speed of the vehicle exceeds the posted speed limit by more than ten miles per hour and no conviction shall be had thereon unless such speed is more than ten miles per hour above the posted speed limit.

(b) The limitations contained in subsection (a) of this Code section shall not apply in properly marked school zones one hour before, during, and one hour after the normal hours of school operation, in properly marked historic districts, and in properly marked residential zones. For purposes of this chapter, thoroughfares with speed limits of 35 miles per hour or more shall not be considered residential districts. For purposes of this Code section, the term "historic district" means a historic district as defined in paragraph (5) of Code Section 44-10-22 and which is listed on the Georgia Register of Historic Places or as defined by ordinance adopted pursuant to a local constitutional amendment.

...unfortunately Georgia State Troopers are exempt

lual and kemosabi49 Thank this.
  4. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    That is one reason I like my 65 mph truck.
    All those people going faster seem to really like bunching up and cramming into a pack.

They don't try to get around or anything, they just all tailgate each other as a group. The mind set boggles my mind.

5. PaulMinternational

PaulMinternational Heavy Load Member

Aug 23, 2022
    I actually see more of the opposite daily. Those limited are always bunched up and those who aren’t actively move to open spaces. Problem is those who are limited are always effectively hindering traffic flow, never let anyone pass and most times are in the wrong lane to begin with. Then they say the faster truck bunches up and stays there! Maybe if you would move over once in a while they would pass and traffic would flow.
    Today an NFI truck went left going down the mountain, then hit the brakes stayed beside the other truck all the way to the bottom, across the flat he pulled alongside but never passed just stayed there till they hit the next hill, this time with 3 lanes. As they approached the NFI driver slowed slightly more going into the hill was completely behind the other truck, put his 4 ways on and sat there in the middle lane the entire way up at about 10 less than posted with the truck in the inside lane just about back corner to his front end. Never passed him the entire stretch. Yep all those unlimited truck bunched up not because they wanted to but because he blocked the left for miles and when he finally moved right 3 Hill’s later he did so only after he effectively slowed anyone behind even further at the base of the last hill effectively slowing any chance at an effective pass going up to a turtle race.
    Yesterday After 20 miles I was finally able to get up beside a limited driver. Had to do it in the right lane going uphill as traffic even in the right lane was outrunning him on every hill. Gave him a what gives look and gestured to look at his mirror hopping he would see the line of traffic he had created as far as the eye could see. Guess we all wanted to be in that pack?
    My favorite is when your behind only one or two from the two limited blockers and you can see absolutely nothing in front of them for a mile. Yet they can’t figure out that that 2 mile deep pack behind them is caused by thier actions.

Get a clue people we are not driving sports cars and to keep things flowing and packs from forming if traffic is backing up behind you. You need to move over and let everyone you trapped pass because they all can’t cut around like a sports car can with the limited openings you almost purposefully leave. Not to mention those of us with a healthy dose of HP/Tourqe and no limiter will scare the hell out of you if/when you force us to squeeze it around, then you will be on here crying how dangerous we are.

Hammer166 Thanks this.
  6. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    One more point about Georgia. There are many rules about Grades % etc that local and county cops have to obey. None of those rules apply to State Troopers. I remember being in a Georgia Traffic court ( Called State Court at the county level) when this guy came in and was representing himself in court. He had researched the law and thought he had it beat. The Judge showed him a lot of patience as he had him read the wording again in open court. The exception in the law did not apply to State Troopers and it was a State Patrol Sgt that made the case. Guilty was the finding! I suspect there are other states that do this as well. This is why I advise getting into one of those legal plans. You want to do your best to keep moving violations off the CDL!

lual Thanks this.
  7. roundhouse

Jul 11, 2018
    The reason some of the rules don’t apply to the state troopers in Georgia is because the state doesn’t get the revenue

whatever county the ticket is written n Gets the money

but every podunk town with 600 population has a greedy money grubbing cop parked on the interstate 24/7

one of the best ways to beat the ticket in Georgia , if the prosecutor or judge won’t reduce it when you call them , is to show up In Court and if the cop does show up , ask to have the case moved to state court

it’s usually 30 or 40 miles away and the cop may not show up at that one since the court date wasn’t known before they wrote the ticket .

8. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    It doesn't work that way in Georgia. When a citation is issued in a Georgia county regardless of the agency the cases are handled the same. This is one reason for the rise in what is called "court costs". I actually have watched a Clerk of Court person in a Clerks office prepare a spreadsheet to send to the state with a list of all convictions along with a check made out to the State Of Georgia. Based on what she told me this is also how the violations are reported to the state for entry into a resident's driving record.

The real reason Troopers are exempted most of the time is their training is standardized and 100% controlled by the Georgia Dept of Public Safety. Yes, a cop in Georgia MUST be POST certified, but the training is not overseen by the DPS!

Now as usual I am adding this disclamer. Do NOT believe me! Go ask them!

9. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    One more thing about getting Tickets in Georgia. Back in the day if you got stopped and cited the officer took your license. I remember many times watching Troopers come into the Sheriff's office with those tickets with the DL attached to them. Then when you paid the ticket they would give your license back. To the best of my knowledge Georgia stopped doing that close to 30 years ago.

10. roundhouse

Jul 11, 2018
    Yep
    And they stapled your license to
    The paperwork

and every time you got pulled over and handed your DL to the cop you could always see them slide their finger across the back feeling for the staple holes .

I once got a ticket for running over an orange cone , and had the case moved to state court etc , and it had a dozen staple homes in it by the time it got to court and the judge laughed at the montezuma ga police chief and dismissed the ticket.

and after that when I got stopped or got nabbed for overweight at the scales , you could see the cops almost wet their panties with excitement when they’d feel
    All the staple holes , then they’d run back to their car and call it in , only to be very disappointed when my driving record came back spotless clean .

It’s really sad that the worlds wealthiest nation can’t have police training like every western Europe nation.

with actual training and years of training, not just six weeks and here’s your gun and ticket book .

in Georgia , up until just a few years ago , once you got hired as a cop , you had 12 months to attend the six week course,

One town , Mount Zion Georgia , used to have a cop that couldn’t read or write and thus couldn’t complete the academy , so he would work for 11 months for the town and take a months off and get re hired and work another 11 months.

And any ticket you got from him was super easy to beat In court, you’d just ask for his training paperwork or hand him something and ask him to read the third paragraph please .

11. The Green Mountain

The Green Mountain Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2022
    Maine
    Anyone said anything yet about an outward facing dash cam for the PV with the smallest memory chip it will take, so that it over-writes itself in just a few days?

I didn't read much past Illinois <communist>; Florida <race car driver>.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.