Providing warnings that a Texas Coastal port will be closing its gates due to severe weather

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Mike Murphy, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Final Drive

Final Drive Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2015
    Would have been nice back in 2005 when Katrina was coming in hard into Louisiana. I had just found a parking spot at the Petro in Hammond, La cause the parking lot was empty .I was informed that we had to evacuate now both lanes on 59 north and south where all going north...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    This tells you everything you need to know about the guy and stupidity of the state.

Attempting a noble but unachievable goal. You are chasing a diminishing returns problem. Personally, i would simply like a solid and accurate weather app or website that was worth keeping on my phone, had one for about 6 months before it was just chasing ads and completely unreliable.

Also, you clearly dont know what a qualcomm in trucking means, id advise you to do better than a 5 min look at the name brands website thinking it means 5g improvements. Put some effort in, google "trucking qualcomm"

70s Trucking Thanks this.
  4. Mike Murphy

Mike Murphy Bobtail Member

Apr 28, 2014
    70s Trucking and Wasted Thyme.

Thank you very much for pointing back to Bzinger's answer as the best. I appreciate the time you and other TruckReport members took to read these posts and respond. I have ridden in an 18-wheeler, but I know I will never drive one, nor will I ever have to make decisions while on the road driving a truck what I need to do or not do. I do appreciate the different perspectives that have been presented.

I was once part of a National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) crash investigation team that was studying the factors involved in a 7 fatality bus crash on IH 35 south of Waco. At the time of the crash there was heavy rain, low visibility and the roadway at that location is a series of crest and sag curves which further limit long range visibility of what's happening ahead on the road. That day, a fatality crash had already occurred on IH 35 that created a queue of traffic almost 2 miles long due to the time delay from the work that was happening at the crash site. The bus driver came over a crest curve, saw the long queue of vehicles and made the decision to change to the inside lane which had a shorter queue length ---- just as he did the last car in the longer, outside lane queue made the same decision to move to the inside lane ---- by that time the bus driver didn't have enough distance to stop, slammed on his brakes, skidded across the median and hit a Ford Explorer head on coming in the opposite direction.

As we studied this crash - lots of factors were considered and we collected large amounts of data on the roadway to provide to the NTSB investigators, law enforcement and TXDOT - but the one thing that has stuck in my mind over time is that if the bus driver could have been alerted that there was a fatality crash and a queue of cars on the road ahead soon enough - he would had the option to exit the IH 35 main lanes and traveled on the frontage road - likely avoiding the crash. However, he didn't have that information.

The idea behind this post is to learn what what type of information you need and how soon you need it? Are you already receiving all of the information you need to make your best decision? It sounds like, as experienced drivers, you are receiving the information you need to make the right decision - and I definitely agree with you ----- you and you alone should be the one to make the decision, because you are the one responsible for your safety, the safety of your truck and cargo and to some extent the safety of those driving near your truck.

Mike

Team818, tarmadilo and bzinger Thank this.
  5. Mike Murphy

Apr 28, 2014
    Skallagrime -

Thank you for clarifying that I should search for 'trucking qualcomm' and learn more about this technology - this is not simply 5G communications technology for truckers. This is helpful and the kind of information and insights I appreciate.

What is the Qualcomm (Omnitracs) For Truckers? | TruckingTruth Blog

I will study this information.

Thanks again,

Mike

Team818 and bzinger Thank this.
  6. MOBee

MOBee Road Train Member

Apr 27, 2014
    Why can't you put it in the Amber alert system? I get silver alerts as well. Surely someone driving into the storm should be warned. After all they did Amber and TDOT signs this year for the snow and ice storm.

Team818 Thanks this.
  7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    We already have we too much abuse of the Amber alert system. We don't need any more.

8. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    How so?

9. MOBee

MOBee Road Train Member

Apr 27, 2014
    If you have an Android phone you scan select only the alerts you want.

10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    When almost 70% of the Amber alerts are simple custody disputes people tend to turn off all Amber alerts. That means the 30% of them that are valid are ignored because of the 'cry wolf' effect.

We don't need to be crying wolf even more often. For weather related stuff we can make a service for the national weather and use it, not the service that was designed to find kidnapped children. Heck, we can even name it something like the National Weather Service or the like....

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  11. Mike Murphy

Apr 28, 2014
    MOBEE -

When the Amber Alert system was suggested, it was only meant as an example. The Texas Department of Public Safety (Texas Highway Patrol, Texas Rangers, Vehicle Inspections, Driver License, Human Trafficking, Border Security etc.) originally developed Amber Alert in 2002 as a way to broadcast information about child abductions as you pointed out. Amber Alert has now been implemented in all 50 states.

However, what we intended to suggest was a separate system (that operated like Amber Alert) - perhaps starting in Texas - and called something else, perhaps Green Alert - which would broadcast emergency messages to truckers and other travellers who sign up for the system. I only know of the Amber, and Silver alert systems so adding one more for the trucking industry, Green Alert, should not create a large increase in Alert messages. I'm not suggesting it would be simple to get legislation passed for a 'Green Alert' system but do you think this could work?

Mike

tarmadilo Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.