Psp Dot inspection violations and DAC, owner op or Authority

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Truckergirl87, Oct 28, 2022.

1. Truckergirl87

Truckergirl87 Bobtail Member

Oct 28, 2022
    Hey y'all. So I've been driving for 6 months total and had my first ever DOT inspection. The inspector gave me one citation but 11, yea u read that right. 11 warnings. I was under the impression at the time he was doing something good for me. I've since found out he ####ed me worse that I could have ever imagined. My company fired me the same day. Asking me if I made the officer mad. I didn't he was friendly and I honestly thought he was trying to help me. Since they fired me they have begun to lie on me on my DAC report. Stating I've had three accidents on my report. I've never had an accident. In my employment with them there have been two incidents a stretched airline, and once my neck tire got stuck in a ditch. I feel my career is now ####ed. Every carrier I have applied to won't hire me. At this point I'm wondering can I proceed with being an owner op or if I should go for my own authority. I have no accidents, no points on license, a clean mvr. Help anybody what can I do.

tscottme Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    How much was equipment related?
    Sounds like you were not 100% of the problem.
    Tell us where you are located so someone can help.

4. Truckergirl87

Oct 28, 2022
    3 Eld violations. Windshield wiper fluid not working. Ga

5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Your PSP score will reflect almost anything that is listed as a violation on any inspection report. There might be something on an inspection report that isn't going to cost your PSP points, that is why I say ALMPOST anything listed in the report will cost you points. The problem is for the 12 months beginning on the day of the iolations, those violations (assuming they are all only 1 point each) will have 3 times those points on your PSP score. The next year each violation will only have twice the effect. And for the third year each violation will only be multiplied by 1 point per violation. That is to say your PSP report will look very very bad for the next 12 months, then very bad for the next twelve months, and bad for the 12 months after that. The very next day, in 3 years, your PSP report will reflect zero points (the best possible score) if you get no more violations between the 11 point inspection report and 3 years form now.

I would have thought that your CDL school would have explained PSP Reports to you. I received training on PSP Reports at 2 of the last 3 companies I worked for.

I may be wrong, I hope am, but with your PSP score I'm not sure what insurance companies are going to do if you try to buy insurance as an owner-operator. I learned the hard way, never cross a weigh station with anything wrong with your truck, trailer, ELD, freight. While a "warning ticket" will not charge you a fine for the problems it lists, the money they might have charged is the least of your problem. You might consider doing non-CDL driving until you can get hired again. For $10 you can get a copy of your PSP Report by clicking on this link. Good luck to you. The most important thing is that it's better to learn from mistakes than to expect to be perfect. Nobody can be perfect, mistakes can be expensive or painful, but if you learn from them at least it makes you a better person.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  6. Truckergirl87

Oct 28, 2022
    Thank you for the advice. So that was my question do insurance companies use psp reports or only carriers looking to hire you? The violations don't impact my mvr or license points

7. Truckergirl87

Oct 28, 2022
    I had an owner op that want d to hire me but his carrier wouldnt approve because of DAC and psp

RJM1953 Thanks this.
  8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    No such thing as PSP score, so your CDL school that explained it to you failed you.
    Yes, all violations will be listed in the PSP Report, but there is no score associated with the report.

https://www.psp.fmcsa.dot.gov/PspApi/documents/PSP_Sample_Report_.pdf

kemosabi49 Thanks this.
  9. tscottme

Yes. As I understand it your PSP points are not related or on your MVR and have no impact our your state's point system for driver's licenses. PSP is just for CDL purposes.

10. tscottme

DAC (Hire Right) are covered by same law as credit reports. You are entitled to AT LEAST one free report per year, depending which state you live in. You are also entitled to challenge any entry on your report. You are entitled to submit a statement that will be given to any company asking for your DAC report. Beware your statement can only be of a certain length. Just Google "what are my rights" and "DAC Hire Right report".

11. tscottme

I used the wrong word. I can only be perfect for 2-3 days at a time. Al qaeda said any more than that would bring too much suspicion. ;-)

RJM1953 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.