PTO pump fried. Looking at a new one?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Arctic_fox, Dec 1, 2023.

1. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    Title sums it up. Something in the pump is making a loud whineing and clattering noise and the pump will cut for a few seconds at a time and drop all pressure. I currently have the following in my rig BELA26S20 by BEZARES USA - BE Series 26 Gallon SAE B 13 Hydraulic Gear Pump but i know its a pretty weak one and have always had issues getting my end dump bed up when fully loaded especially on a nose load. But im not sure if just slapping a stronger pump on is a good idea and will fix my issues or if i should just do like for like and focus on a better because the PTO itself is what matters or how that all works.

I am running a 55 gallon pony tank on the side so fluid should not be the issue.

Any advice would be helpful!

motocross25 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    I am sending you a PM.

4. W923

W923 Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2022
    I didn’t take the time to look up what you have but we’ve had pretty good luck with permco pumps feeding large import valves. My lowboy truck has a very large pump so I can run my winch for loading dead equipment. I want to say it will make around 90gpm at 1400 engine rpm. I had a high school kid working for me a couple years ago that didn’t screw the pressure line on quite far enough when he hooked up the trailer and it was pretty much dead heading the pump. In the time he was jacking with it he got the oil so hot the side of the tank where it retuns to actually melted enough to balloon out. I have an oil cooler in the system but it’s valved off in the winter unless I use the winch so that didn’t help. I did end up resealing the pump and the valve but they are still in operation…. So maybe permco makes a pretty good pump lol

Sons Hero Thanks this.
  5. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    Ill look into it then. Motocross gave me a good lead too. So what ends up on the transmission is going to depend on what i can get my paws on and what my piston is rated for. Was going to call mac trailers monday and see what piston they used on this one and match a PTO and pump to it.

6. Sons Hero

Sons Hero Road Train Member

Jan 8, 2021
    Indiana
    Permco makes a great pump

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.