Pulling 5th wheel camper trailer with big truck

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by joseph1853, May 11, 2017.

1. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    A baby tractor. I love it. Keep us posted.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kenworth 4life

Kenworth 4life Medium Load Member

Feb 16, 2017
    Augusta, Maine
    Why not put an rv 5th wheel on the back of the frame ?

4. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    It is what Joseph said. The only problem is the mess it leaves on the camper. The fifth wheel plate on a tractor is much larger and will leave grease EVERYWHERE!

5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    I've been looking for options as I really want to get rid of my pickup. Never thought about cutting a straight truck down. If you don't mind, how much did it cost to do that?

6. red caddy

red caddy Bobtail Member

Jul 8, 2017
    Well, because of the deal I struck, it's hard to put a dollar amount on it. The truck had a 20 foot box and a wide lift gate on it when I bought it from the upfitter's yard.

This was a 2005 with 138 K miles on it. I paid mid book. The box, lift and frame cutoff stayed with the upfitter, in return I got the chop, ABS brake work, new driveshaft, class 3 hitch receiver, wiring and several detail type repairs to the truck. (interior plastic, seat covers, paint compounding, etc.) The shop time billed out was about $2000.00. (in the paperwork to alter WB and Weight Spec's for the FDOT and DMV here in Florida. It's MUCH easier done when working with a DOT licensed upfitter)

Questions? ask away
    I'm sure the work could have been done for less than that on a cash and carry basis. ALL parties to this deal shaded, colored and carried very sharp pencils,lol

That's the best answer I can give ya.
    RED

ZVar and lovesthedrive Thank this.
  7. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    I had one of those , had to start off in third gear to not spin the tires, before we put the box on her.

8. red caddy

red caddy Bobtail Member

Jul 8, 2017
    Amen to that,
    Driving this rig, bobtail, on the super slab, is an experience not to be soon forgotten. The upfitter is ~ 55 miles north of me. Bringing her home for the first time, I ran into the back end of a monsoon rain storm, at about 75 MPH, on cruise. (no, I don't do that anymore) She bucked, hopped and shook and in general scared the pee waddin' out of me. (and my wife, following in her Blazer) but in the end, the old girl stayed in her own lane, albeit, with a sashay that would be the envy of any 2nd line in NOLA. Popped out the other side, nice and straight, smooth and level. (the only thing shakin' was ME.

I'm not used to a brain box pickin' a gear, rpm's and braking for me... Progress my ackin' butt.

I'm pretty sure that with the 5th wheeler on, the ride won't be near as exciting, a slight finger wag at the brake controller and she should settle right down. The secret is a light hand...Smooth. I expect the 4 link and bags will also tame her a good bit. What the hell, it's only money...

RED

9. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Put a trolley handle on the dash?

10. red caddy

red caddy Bobtail Member

Jul 8, 2017
  11. red caddy

red caddy Bobtail Member

Jul 8, 2017
    Kenworth for life,
    My first thought was to do exactly that, drill thru the top frame rail, bolt the hat channel receiver mounts (About $60.00/pair new from Reese) rails and fasten with grade 8 bolts. Pin on when needed, mount rails can stay, if they are not in the way of anything else.

Then I hit on the idea of using a class 8 slider and mounting the rails and the 20 K 4 way (double oscillating,) Reese receiver, I already have on my old tow rig, to the air lock slider. Sure ought to be a couple sweet spots with 43 inches of travel (forward for easy balanced towing , back for tight turns when backing into tight spots)

By the way, I have 3- 16 K receivers, single oscillating, up for adoption. 2 are as new, never used. I can send pic's if any body is interested.

RED

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.