Pulling 5th wheel camper trailer with big truck

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by joseph1853, May 11, 2017.

1. Trucker327

Trucker327 Light Load Member

Dec 24, 2017
    I want to tow a fifth wheel...but have some questions first...i have a 14 frieghtline cascadia...the fifth wheel is 2in higher..due to it used to be pulling tanker...is that too tall or a good height? And should i be ok if i dont have the brake connector on the trailer...will just be towing it home..also if i got a lowboy trailer..would the dealership load the trailer on the lowboy?? Want ti know what would be a better/easier way to bring it home..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Trucker327

Trucker327 Light Load Member

Dec 24, 2017
    I have a 14 frieghtliner cascadia...i want to pull a 5th wheel...the 5th wheel on the semi is 2in higher..due to it being used for tankers..is that too high or is that a good height? Would I be ok to just bring it home w/o the brakes connected to the tractor? Would just be bringing it home...about 80/90mi.. Also would i need to slide the 5th back..for turns...or is this a good length of space for this semi to trailer? Also if i got a lowboy..does the dealrship load the trailer? Or how does that work? What is better/easier to do?

4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    The reese air sliders were desinnedto use in short wheel base pickups, so you could put the weight where it needed to be, and slide it back to turn when needed. No real need for that on a big truck.

Unless you have a smooth riding truck, there is a very real danger of breaking the neck at some point on most fifth wheels, some are built to handle the stress though, do some checking. As far as brakes, it will never jacknife on you because the wheels are rolling, but it is illegal to run without them, A guy might get in a bind if anything ever happened and you didn't have a brake controlller, even a cheap one that has to be hand operated, would be better than nothing. , when I worked my trucks for a construction company, I pulled a 40 foot titan a lot of miles with mu KW.

• Truckers Report Jobs