Turn Signal also feeding all the clearance lights on that side.

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by kelboy1971, Oct 21, 2018.

1. kelboy1971

kelboy1971 Bobtail Member

Mar 31, 2014
    I'm hoping someone can help me out, I have a 2000 International 9400i and 2014 Transcraft stepdeck, when I turn the right hand turn signal on it the signal lights flash but it is also feeding the clearance lights on the whole trailer. When I turn on just the clearance lights it powers up the right turn lights, they don't flash just power up, I have been through the trailer and everythings seems ok so it must be in the truck somewhere but not sure where to start, any info would br great, thanks guys.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Try another pigtail.

stillwurkin Thanks this.
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Sounds like someone hooked up the wires in the 7 pin plug wrong. I'd start there.

Xzachtly and stillwurkin Thank this.
  5. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Sounds like somebody mixed something up somewhere. But being that is a pretty new trailer, idk. I know if you cross the wires up that feed the lights, the 12v signal can activate the bright side of the light. Maybe unplug your lights on that side one at time first, see if you have a weird one causing a circuit malfunction. Then you can test each pigtail supply side for 12v at the turn signal prongs and see if your getting a constant on the wrong feed

6. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    That would be my suggestion, too. Or at least grab a test light and see that the right turn signal is ONLY powering the right turn signal pin, and that the marker lights are ONLY powering the marker light pin. That will tell you if the problem is with the truck or the trailer. Start at the pigtail, and work your way toward the problem.

7. CraigInReston

CraigInReston Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Disconnect the trailer cord, check with voltmeter just tractor first. If everything looks good there, then it's in the trailer wiring. If you're sure it's the truck, there's usually 2 junction boxes. 1st is in driver-side jockey box, and connects all tail-light/backup/headache rack and trailer wiring. 2nd is on the exterior frame rail, near the rear drive axle. Check these junctions as the exterior one is prone to corrosion. If all is good there, then you'll have to work your way back to dash switches and signal switch. Wiring is a real PITA to diagnose, but you'll eventually find the problem.

tommymonza and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  8. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    Power cord could be shorting inside. Try a nee cord or one that you know to be good.

tommymonza and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  9. McMahons Trucking

McMahons Trucking Light Load Member

Jul 4, 2018
    Sounds like a grounding issue to me. 9 out of ten times if something electrical was working and starts flaking out, it's a ground issue.

tommymonza, Rideandrepair and kwswan Thank this.
  10. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Bad ground seems to cause many problems at once . Like said check pigtail if problem replace or unplug first from Truck and check prongs on Truck . I had that problem had to change 7 wire from inside cab to rear receptacle where pigtail plugs in.First thing is figuring out if trailer or truck. If trailer the plug for pigtail first stop

tommymonza Thanks this.
  11. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    If the pins are adjacent, it could just be a loose strand that isn't properly contained in its terminal bridging the gap to the other. Once you figure out which end (truck vs trailer) is the problem, start opening things up, using the test light, and work towards the problem...eventually, you'll find it.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.