Purchased a NEW truck, constant breakdowns, advice?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Lioness77, Nov 13, 2018.

1. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Just because its new doesn't mean it has been damaged in transit. One of the last series of trucks I bought, one hit a coyote on the way to the dealer. They don't just throw the truck away, they repair it. Go to your regional dealer rep with the problems. Though Volvo will refer you back to the deal and ignore you, Paccar will somewhat work with you, but tell you that the problem is maint/driver abuse.

Dave_in_AZ and x1Heavy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Mack/Volvo, good luck. If you don't already know their extended warranty is not bumper to bumper. It's a component warranty. Didn't add it, not covered. Been fighting with them on three new trucks for two years now.

Dave_in_AZ, x1Heavy and jsnell Thank this.
  4. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    Now I know of one other large carrier that is dumping their relationship with Mack. Doesn't sound good for the bull dog.

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    STOP STOP STOP

LISTEN CAREFULLY.

Document everything.

Dates, times and subject with any communications with anyone.

Get a lawyer to see if there is anything that can be done under either the state laws of where you purchased it or where it is registered.

Also get the lender involved they have a stake in this too.

Mattflat362, x1Heavy and jsnell Thank this.
  6. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    new Cascadia ?

7. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    The company doesn't care about the leaning issue. Even if it is under warranty. Don't t talk to them about it, they just want the truck to run and they will say anything to convince you to run the truck than to have it sit in a shop to get it fixed. No money for them if they truck sits, but also no money for you.

Warranty should at least cover a hotel room when repairs are done. At least there is that. Not from the company, but from the truck manufacturer. You will likely need to be reimbursed for the cost. But it is in the truck warranty on something that new that covers it. Not the company.

F-the company, don't trust them. They only want what is best for them.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. FAST123

FAST123 Light Load Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Easton,PA
    STOP THIS MADNESS...I would get the lawyer involved right now. Also call the manufacturer directly forget the dealer. Make noise and lots of it. A frame issue on a new truck is practically unheard of. Trucks are supposed to go through a quality assurance check and safety check before leaving the factory floor. The manufacture has a duty to the public to make sure they are selling a vehicle that is road worthy. A frame should not have to "settle" in. This only gets worse the longer you drive or wait.

9. maconhadalata

maconhadalata Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2014
    newark, nj
    I would get a lawyer. And fast.

Badmon, x1Heavy, Lioness77 and 2 others Thank this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I have only seen three tractors with bad frames, two after they broke in my lifetime. One i rejected as a company driver. I was fired for that. Took some explaining to unemployment as a agent of the company I am required to pretrip a truck assigned and have it and any defects fixed. I was fired for no good cause other than spite and got unemployment that year. I did not talk about that particular firing because the people who fired me showed hatred and disgust that a nobody like me at 21 should dare squeak no to a required tractor assignment because it had some problems I will not take it out onto the road.

You need to stop right here, get to a lawyer and actively get this rolling. Talk is one thing actual moving legal pleadings against other people, companies and parties involved in your particular truck issue etc along of monies and so on.. Ridgeline said it best. Get that started. Nothing else matters now. You are essentially out of trucking tonight.

Document everything, get the lawyer going in the morning and then once you and lawyer is up to speed fully together as a team, things will progress. Talk is over. It's time to lawyer up and fight.

I myself have never heard of a new 154K tractor having frame issues. I am going to respectfully and use nice words to express my surprise and refusal to accept that such a expensive truck should already have problems.

THIS IS NOT a reflection or problem with you specifically. Lawyer up and get started in this fight. Document everything, name names, times, dates and so on. Who said what and what you spent, did, lost and so on. It will take some time. But you do not have a truck and you have all kinds of time now with lawyer.

I am so sorry you have this outrageous and potentially lethal problem. A frame is everything in all vehicles. Without a good, square strong frame you have nothing except losses beyond belief.

I lost my cherished Dodge quadcab at the post office when a ford F250 totaled it some years back. The frame was twisted ahead of the right rear wheel where the class three hitch took the hit and bent the frame. The F250 showed no dent at all. (Sheesh...)

The ins. Company offered to remove the entire frame, tear down the truck completely at the Cabot shop and over a period of weeks build in a Factory OEM complete frame assembly and rebuild the entire truck repairing other damage along the way from that accident. For a cost of 4450 dollars free to me.

Or sold the truck for 6010 dollars, 500 more than what I paid for it in 2008. I sold the truck. Looking back after learning about frame technology I should have had them replace the frame and rebuild the truck carefully around it. I regret not doing that.

I might find another manual 2001 quadcab some day but those are getting hard to come by.

Back to your truck and frame. If it is a Mack truck, it grieves me even more. Because I am strongly in love with Mack because they were good trucks to me in the beginning way back when, even the older early 60's era offset cabs under seacan loads you wont believe. (I had one mack get totaled after hauling 134500 pounds gross to Baltimore from Virginia. The frame did not fail on that one thankfully.

B&B Concrete in Little Rock in 1998 gave me a old 9800 International Paystar. With a thousand rivets around the cab. One day the entire floor fell down to the frame rails at 70 mph down I-30 just past Hot Springs. It fell down about almost two feet to the frame rails above the drive shaft with me, my seats and everything now above my head.

I could have lost my life that day very easily if that shaft grabbed my feet.

I should have quit B&B concrete that very day. But like a dumb idiot needy for a job I stayed on a while longer, long enough to get back into that stupid truck after they repaired it. I am the one who is dumb. I finally quit.

These stories are frame related in some way. In the end, get to a good lawyer, and start your battles in Court. The time of talking, losing money and so on is over. No one except your Lawyer and Court will listen to your pleadings (A legal term of going to make a lawsuit or case against a party or parties who you think has done wrong.)

I will pray for your success in this battle. No one should ever have to put up with this like you are. You have my full support morally and spiritually. I ask one thing, keep us posted on this thread, I will watch it constantly.

Dino soar and Lioness77 Thank this.
  11. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    The DPF filter can just be a bad sensor. If the truck is not doing Active Regeneration going down the road it could be sensor or the injector in the exhaust is broken or stuck.

If the frame is bent or holes drilled wrong when truck was built I would say that lot bigger problem. Call MD Alignment and talk to Mike Becket he is the King on truck alignments he has 30 or 40 year experience. He has radio show in Satellite radio. So he answer question about truck alignment
    MD Alignment

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.