Push to Let Teens Drive Trucks Interstate Divides the Industry

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by autopaint, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    I don't think 18 year olds should be sent off to die in another country anyway.
    21 at the minimum. Kids get the idea of glory and fighting for freedom in their head before they've even had enough experience to really understand the world man.

JoeyJunk, RockinChair and alds Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Yes that is pretty much the detail here companies just can't seem to keep drivers, which can come across as a driver shortage but really is not.which is why I mentioned in a previous post if there was indeed a driver shortage the Dept of Labour would be endorsing companies to apply for H2B temporary work visas to bridge the short fall, which is not the case however do still allow companies to petition for foreign workers on the H2A visa for the Grain harvest.

4. mtoo

mtoo Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Retired on bended knee
    I think it would be cool if a teen could train with a related party {dad uncle}. Then they could decide at an early age if the life style was for them

NavigatorWife and wore out Thank this.
  5. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Used to be that way.

NavigatorWife, okiedokie and mtoo Thank this.
  6. sealevel

sealevel Road Train Member

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    The problem isn't letting 18 year olds drive, it's who gets to train them. The industry loses alot of good hands in the 18-23 range to other occupations. If it's done correctly through true non partisan vocational training with higher standards than what's now required I think it would be great. The industry needs better training in the first place.
    Problem is this won't happen. They are trying to create a program do to a nonexistent driver shortage and will just pave the way for Megas to have a feeding frenzy on high school kids.
    Bottom line is if it is done correctly it would be great for kids who want to drive and a pathway to get started in a career, but we all know it will be done wrong and the results will be disastrous resulting in even more regulations.

Brettj3876 and gentleroger Thank this.
  7. TheLoadOut

TheLoadOut Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2019
    Well let's see, we let senile old farts run the country, we have C student psychopaths enforcing the laws, we have bathrooms for those who can't figure out what's between their legs, we have a truck parking problem buy yet states close rest areas, if an 18 year old can drive commercially intrastate I see no problem with them crossing an imaginary line.

buzzarddriver and skallagrime Thank this.
  8. Jeffery Epstein

Jeffery Epstein Bobtail Member

Mar 19, 2020
    old enough to get drafted, then you are old enough to drive, buy a pistol, tobacco, alcohol, etc

TheLoadOut Thanks this.
  9. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Even if this bill passes, I doubt you will see many 18 and 19 year olds driving CMVs OTR. The insurance companies either won't allow it or they'll make it so expensive that carriers will deem it cost prohibitive.

JoeyJunk and TheLoadOut Thank this.
  10. fishonron

fishonron Medium Load Member

Jul 25, 2017
    North Central Kansas
    Many of the megas are self insured.

11. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    But many shippers and consignees are not.

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.