Pusher Axle operation Question

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by MAMservices, Jan 12, 2023.

1. MAMservices

MAMservices Light Load Member

Aug 9, 2021
    Mississippi
    Construction company owner I drive for part time bought a 21 Pete 567, 20 yd Ox Body with a pusher axle with less than 100k on it. Here's the question. When the regulator on the control tower in the cab has air pressure dialed in on it, and the axle lower raise switch on the dash is in the up position, with brakes released, the axle is up. (There is also a gauge on the dash showing pressure of the pusher air bags.)
    When ever you apply the parking brake, the axle will drop and the air bag pressure will rise to the amount set on the control tower gauge by the regulator. When you release the parking brake the axle will raise. If you push switch down, axle will then lower.
    When driving you can raise and lower the axle with the dash button normally. If there is no pressure dialed in with the regulator, the dash button has no affect on anything.
    It does not seem right to me for the axle to drop or raise every time you set or release the brakes, is this something new? Is something plumbed wrong by the body installer originally maybe? He has another truck like it but older and it doesn't act this way.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2023
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Could be an option in the ECM for it to operate every time the brakes are set.

Just sounds like a software thing to me.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  4. FLHT

FLHT Heavy Load Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Dont know where your located but.
    Some states do not allow the raise and lower button in the cab.

5. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Most drop axles raise when pbrake is applied or when trans goes into Reverse.

beastr123 and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  6. MAMservices

Aug 9, 2021
    Mississippi
    Hmm. That didn’t cross my mind but I bet that’s it. Thanks!

LoneRanger Thanks this.
  7. MAMservices

Aug 9, 2021
    Mississippi
    Other truck raises when put into reverse like that. It is also steerable to boot.

8. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Sounds to me like something is wired or plumbed backwards... While lowered, setting the brakes should raise the axle. I think thats what it thinks its doing but everything is exactly opposite of what it should be doing....

Question... When switched to the up position with brakes released, does the axle lower and build to regulator pressure when you put truck into reverse??

If it does, I would say the air lines to the raise and lower bags need to be switched positions on the control valve. And/or the up down switch is wired backwards.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
  9. Jubal Early Times

Jubal Early Times Road Train Member

Oct 17, 2022
    They have the raise and lower switch plumbed from the manifold valve for the parking brake.

Phoenix Heavy Haul Thanks this.
  10. MAMservices

Aug 9, 2021
    Mississippi
    Thats exactly what it seems like to me. Reverse has no affect on it

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  11. MAMservices

Aug 9, 2021
    Mississippi
    I suppose it could be that as well. Ill try to look at these ideas and see whats goin on. I thank yall for your informed responses..

Cattleman84 and Jubal Early Times Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.