Put OOS after level 1 inspection!

Discussion in 'Watkins & Shepard' started by walstib, Jan 6, 2011.

1. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Average trailer use to be ten years. My current company holds them about 6 years.
    A big company, it's easy for a trailer not to see a company yard for 6 months or more.

There's alot of drivers that will have a hard time adapting to the new way. Still many will try to slip through the cracks rather than spend time in a shop. A hidden chaffed line that's still functional? I highly doubt anyone would of had it fixed even if they did see it.

rocknroll nik and xlsdraw Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Road Train Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Winter Haven, Florida
    It sounds like these guys unload their own trailer or are present when it is unloaded most of the time. Was wondering if they normally hang on to their empty and get it loaded or do they exchange the empty for another preloaded trailer. And generally speaking industry wide, do the tractors or the trailers tend to get zinged more by Dot or is fairly even?

4. walstib

walstib Darkstar

I don't hear anyone complaining...I do know if you bring an issue to their attention it gets fixed ASAP with no hassle...

5. rocknroll nik

rocknroll nik High Risk Load Member

Oct 18, 2008
    can't read the sign
    It all depends...sometimes you drop and hook other times you live load and unload...when I was with Celadon the longest I ever hung on to one trailer was about a week. With the smaller companies you normally keep the same trailer all the time

6. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Road Train Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Winter Haven, Florida
    Some of your guys were addressing concerns on the trailers on one of the W/S threads a day or too ago. You must of missed it Walstib. I'm not picking on W/S.

7. Warpdrvr

Warpdrvr Heavy Load Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Corona, CA
    I do a regional swapping run with another driver between the LA area and Phoenix. I see 2 different trailers for 5 days a week, and 1 day a week I could see 4 or more as I do a lot of drop/hooks on Mondays that I drive local. I don't hesitate to get a trailer fixed if the slightest thing is wrong with them. I'll replace lights myself unless it's one of the upper marker lights, but other things they go to the shop. My biggest problem is that I pick up my trailers usually between midnight and 3 am and our shops are closed, so I have to call the maintenance head and he has to get someone out there middle of the night....if it's not an OOS problem I'll get it to the closest truck stop and have it fixed there. Just last week I picked up a trailer with 2 of the tires flat spotted all the way to the steel belts! I can't blame it on a driver tho as the person who drives the yard dog at the place I picked it up at isn't the easiest on trailers....but now I had to deal with it....gets tiresome sometimes.

xlsdraw Thanks this.
  8. WorldofTransportation

WorldofTransportation Heavy Load Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Your mother
    I hate to say it but I am entirely to busy to watch what other are doing (pretrip wise).. I run from either yard to yard.. or yard to store to pick up back to yard (or to the truckstop for break). I have enough trouble making sure I do crap to worry how others do it. I understand your frustration.. But the Bobby didn't do it defense doesn't work.. Next thing you know the judge will be asking you if Bobby jumped off a cliff would you?

9. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

Many find it better to be asked if Bobby jumped off a cliff would you? , then being asked why you PUSHED BOBBY off the cliff.

10. walstib

walstib Darkstar

You won't see me using that excuse, I do it and still got nailed for something I never heard of...But then I've been a pilot for 11yrs and pre-flighting a plane, since you can't fix anything once you take off, has me in the habit...

Retired Thanks this.
  11. chralb

chralb Road Train Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Where the truck is
    I don't think I've had the same trailer for more than one trip.

rocknroll nik Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.