Qualcomm - remote paging?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Gabby, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Gabby

Gabby Bobtail Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Clearwater
    I've seen from my reading of trucking forums that drivers seem to be attached to their trucks even when on break because they are afraid of missing messages from their qualcomm. Especially if they are waiting for another load. Seems if there was a way to be paged in some way with Qualcomm message it would allow a driver to get away from their truck, for example to go for an hour walk, without fear of losing a good load.

Does anybody know if such a paging service exist?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    I don't see why carriers couldn't just get the drivers' cell phone numbers and be notified when the drivers are away from the truck .
    Last year my carrier switched from Qualcomm to Blackberries . That's a more sensible solution but some carriers , especially the expediters don't want to make the move because they make money off the O/O's on the Qualcomm fees .

4. MGASSEL

MGASSEL Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Co
    Well some companies will send a preplan out to one truck only not lots of trucks if that person can not do it in the time the company has on it the driver must tell them I will be able to get the load there at x date and x time. If the company does not like that time they can cancel the preplan on that truck and send it to another. But I agree they will not wait hours for a driver to check the qualcom. My old driver manager would send me a message and if I did not answer back in a minute my phone would be ringing.
    This even happened while I was driving down the road I told her what you want reply to it at 65 mph.
    I am not stopping to read the qualcom and reply to it on your time limit it is my time to make money at .32cpm not to loose money buy stopping while my 14 hr clock is ticking. Each stop would be like taking $ 5.20 out of my pocket that is if it only took me 15 min to stop then restart.

5. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    I wouldn't stop driving for a Qualcomm message either . Got too many messages announcing the winner of the monthly safety slogan contest or informing everybody one of our trucks had a rollover .

Ced_macGa Thanks this.
  6. MGASSEL

MGASSEL Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Co
    We also had a daily saftey message, then if in california we would get messages alot to make sure you never leave your load unattended or unsecured in so cal. We would have messages about road issues that the company would hear about,if the pumps were down at terminals etc.
    Overall some days I got 3-5 bs messages.
    I would get a message if my dispatcher wanted me to call her because I was not answering my cell phone while I was driving through the hills or construction.
    When I did not have to idle I found out a way to shutt off the qualcom it worked in my freightliner. I would turn off the key turn it back on untill the qualcomm starts to boot up then turn the key back off while the qualcomm was still in the booting up mode.
    I started getting uninterupted sleep after I found that out .

7. psychocreep

psychocreep Light Load Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Flagstaff, Az
    Swift has a program that allows the driver to have a pre-plan text messaged to your cell phone.

It's pretty cool from what I've read about it, I just haven't signed up for it yet.

InMyDreams Thanks this.
  8. InMyDreams

InMyDreams Light Load Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Kingston, Wa

that's awesome. how did you find out about that? qc message?! :biggrin_25525:

anyway, tell me how that works out for you ...

thanks.

9. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Mgassel - hasn't changed much.

I get a good morning message from my DM, as well as notifications when she's going to be away from her desk for more than 10 or 15 minutes - and a good night message. I like those.

I return the favor - if I'm going to be away from the truck for more than 10 or so minutes, I let her know. Thus, she can send me a pre-plan - and then call me to tell me it's there.

There's the daily 14:00 message from safety (what I call spam)

My dispatcher knows that I don't answer my phone when I'm driving, but I will *read* the QC - her messages are short, and don't typically require an immediate reply. We're both patient with each other - works out really well.

As for the beep - not a problem. I can sleep through a train wreck. A little "beep" from the front of the cab ain't gonna bother me unless I'm waiting for it. (as a matter of fact, my QC currently is set to *silent*. I've asked that they change that. I tend to leave it face down)

10. Reby

Reby Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2007
    Springfield Oregon
    What drives me crazy is they seem to wait to send you a QC message once you are rolling and since I'm in a solo truck I cant read the QC unless the parking brake is applied. I keep the volume on it way down so it only beeps once when I get a new message. If I'm rolling and got miles to burn I wont stop to check it until I stop for my next break. The only time I watch it close is when I am looking for a preplan or directions.

-Reby

11. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    At the moment, no. Not with the QC family anyway. I spoke with a couple of programmers in my area about this just a couple of months ago. They said that for it to be tied to the QC. The code would have to be written, subject to whatever parameters the customer wanted. IE send text to cell only at certain times. And the corresponding cell phone services would have to be tied into the system as well.

It may well come about in the future. For now you have to provide a separate request for dispatch to fire the info to you via cell as a text "manually", or give you a call.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.