Question about Canadian HOS

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by RickG, Apr 11, 2009.

1. DDlighttruck

DDlighttruck Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2015
    Canadian we run 70/7. USA are 60/7 or 70/8.

Correct so far? Both are considered Cycle 1, yes?

So, running off recap hours, my safety advisor told me, as a Canadian, to follow the 70/7 rule while in the USA. He said you follow your home terminal rules, that your cycle doesn't change once you hit the border. Which, I agree the cycle doesn't change. However, it is my understanding that I need to follow the 70/8 rule whole in the USA. Everything I can read or anyone I ask confirms my understanding.

It doesn't make sense you can pick and choose which HOS rules to follow crossbotder

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    You're correct.

Not sure why your safety advisor would think you can ignore the US rules while in the US but he/she is wrong.

Are drivers from Canada or Mexico affected by the U.S. HOS rules?
    Yes, if they operate in the United States. Drivers from Canada and Mexico who drive in the U.S. need to be in full compliance with the U.S. hours-of-service rules upon crossing the border, just like any U.S. driver.
    https://www.jjkeller.com/shop/content____bi-hoursofservice-newrule-FAQs

DDlighttruck and not4hire Thank this.
  4. DDlighttruck

Dec 12, 2015
    Thanks. That's more or less what I figured. I don't need to be "right", I won't challenge him. I just wanted to confirm how to keep myself out of trouble.

By the way, the Star wrote a piece on the crash you posted about on the 400. The last paragraph (paraphrased) said while truck drivers are usually redponsible drivers, they make mistakes too. They said they think the truck driver waited too long to begin braking action

5. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    One minor comment; Cycle 1 and Cycle 2 only applies to Canadian HOS, the U.S. does not refer to their HOS that way. As @tinytim mentioned, you must always follow the HOS of the jurisdiction you are driving in.

DDlighttruck Thanks this.
  6. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    The usual now. No one leaves seven seconds anymore. Right on each other's bumpers now. It's only 80,000 pounds, it stops on a dime, right?

7. FwL

FwL Medium Load Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Sandpoint, ID

You definitely have to be careful running recap hours. That extra day can mess you up.

The way my route works, I have to get a reset every weekend. While I have the hours available to run recap in Canada, I won't be able to get back in rhe states at the end of the week due to that 8th day in the US cycle.

DDlighttruck Thanks this.
  8. DDlighttruck

Dec 12, 2015
    That's what prompted the first phone call to safety. I hadn't run recap in awhile on paper, and couldn't remember if you had to note the hours available on my logs. I was down in Georgia at the time. My 70/7 was around 58, my 70/8 was around 68. Something like that. Safety said drive, so I drove.

Left Rock Hill, SC the next morning at 1000. I was getting fuel in Toronto at 2345. :D

9. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Yep, 80000 or 4000 not many leave adequate following distance.

One initial report I read said a 4 wheeler started it by rear ending a truck. Other reports say the truck driver started it. Regardless of who is responsible for the initial crash there wouldn't have been 11 vehicles involved if everyone else was driving properly.

The bottom of the 400 is a bottleneck, always leave extra distance and watch my mirrors approaching that.

10. Danboots

Danboots Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Winnipeg, MB
    Hey guys. Used to work oil patch, used to running like a banshee on oil well permit. 21/3. Life was fun. 5 years later in running cycle 1 usually gone 5-7 dates but always within my 70 hours. Until now, where I'm supposed to do 16-24 days out before going home. My question is simple:
    Guys who run 2 weeks before their 24 hour reset and also run state side, how do you guys run your logs for those 13-14 days?
    9 hour days? 10 hour days? Magic tricks?

11. Captain Canuck

Captain Canuck "Captain of the Ship"

Apr 7, 2007
    Woodstock, NB, Canada
    If you run US and Canada and never want to stop, you just average 8.75 hrs/day total on duty time and you'll never have to stop. If you stay on the Canadian side, you can average 10 hours. I prefer to get as close to maxed out every day as possible and just take 36 hr resets on the road as necessary.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.