Question about chip hauling

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by rclandandtimber, Apr 25, 2018.

1. rclandandtimber

rclandandtimber Bobtail Member

Apr 25, 2018
    I'm looking at leasing onto Fleetwood hauling chips as an owner operator. Right now I work full time as a coal miner and running a small logging business. I'm a one man show and it's been a learning experience but it's too much work for one man so I'm thinking of just focusing on trucking and hauling other people's wood. I've talked with Fleetwood, there's a mill near me and the trip is 20 mins one way so I could probably make quite a few loads. I've told them that I have a full time job and won't be able to haul everyday. They told me there's no mandatory amount that I work. She said the goal is 10 loads a week but not mandatory I just get more percentage after the 10th.

What I'm afraid of is leasing on and then being told that I'm required to work when they tell me, which won't work for me. Can they tell me one thing and it be a complete lie? I guess it wouldn't be a big deal as I still have my job at the mine.

Next question is my current truck is a Mack Superliner self loading log truck. How difficult would it be to convert it from a straight log truck to a bobtail? I'm considering selling it and just buying a bobtail truck. Just wondering what others thoughts are on this. My goal is to just make the monthly note until I'm comfortable enough to do it full time.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ncdriver1

ncdriver1 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    read the contract they hand you. it will state if theres forced dispatch or a minimum # of loads and any other surprises.

4. rclandandtimber

Apr 25, 2018
    OK, I was assuming I'd sign a contract, I better read it word for word. Guess I could just leave if they tried to. From my own personal experience running my current truck it seems less stressful hauling for someone, instead of having to find the job, cut, measure, cut again, see what mills are taking wood, then finally load and haul. I tried to use the business model those guys up north use but it became clear very quick that a lot of those guys can be a one man show cause their wood p prices are twice what mine are.

I know it won't be a walk in the park but this way seems a better. Can you recommend I start off just leasing or get my own authority, they will put either one to work.

5. rclandandtimber

Apr 25, 2018
    I've been thinking of starting out hot shotting before buying another big truck but the liability insurance is in Louisiana is outrageous. 3 miles west of me in Texas its crazy cheap for the same coverage. Problem is I can't use a PO BOX. My father in law has some land in Texas that has a physical address. Could he give me written permission to use that address as my garaging address?

6. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    I wouldn't try it. It's called insurance fraud. If you have an insurance claim and they find out that you're lisiting a false work address you'll probably be in a lot of trouble.
    Insurance companies have investigators that spend a lot of time reading claims. The people who live close to state lines are watched closely.
    Either move your operation to Texas totally and legally or get used to Louisiana's high rates.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.