Question about mortgage and perdiem

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by JClifton, Sep 18, 2017.

1. JClifton

JClifton Bobtail Member

Dec 5, 2016
    I'm trying to buy a house and the mortgage company has no clue about this industry! They want to deduct my per diem allowance from my income because it's listed as 'unreimbursed expenses'. Does anyone know of a mortgage company who does trucker mortgages?

Yoyoredrum Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DTP

DTP Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    I got all sorts of crap from my bank too when I got my mortgage, over a piddly amount of $ too. I could have sold a handful of baseball cards and bought the house outright but it was amazing how much static the bank gave me.

The look on their faces was priceless 15 months later when I paid off the 30-year mortgage in full ;)

4. BoostedTeg

BoostedTeg Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Boise ID
    OP where you located?

5. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Call around to your local banks and credit unions. Most of them have the ability to do what's referred to as "manual underwriting", which is nothing more than the way mortgages used to be written. Verify income, employment and payment history, rather than just pull up a FICO score.

417bigK, crb and tscottme Thank this.
  6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    This is the exsct reason per diem blows. The reason they don't count as income, is no one does. If you get layed off your unemployment will be on the lower amount. Same for workmans comp, ssi bennies, other loans, etc.

They want to make sure you can pay the mortgage if something happens....

DTP, Canned Spam, Toomanybikes and 2 others Thank this.
  7. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    one sure fire way is to deny anymore per diem. frankly it has it's pro and con about it. i always denied it myself.

you could try having your accountant go with you for the mortgage signing, if he can, but may charge you. the accountant is a numbers person and can talk to the moron behind the desk.

or at the very least, provide you with a record/files of your past yearly salary. (something you should have done anyway's.

you may have to provide a bigger down payment as well, if they don't budge.

i was able to get my mortgage THEN a refi, due to my salaried driving job. it is basically guaranteed money, over say the ups and downs of per diem pay, to your miles traveled each week. drop below the banks minimum, your SOL...

8. JClifton

JClifton Bobtail Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Alabama

BoostedTeg Thanks this.
  9. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Per diem diverts some of your pay to a limbo that are not taxed or counted in your earned wages.

When you apply for a loan those earnings are not seen.
    And I don't care who you are or those people speaking on your behalf, those wages will NEVER be added in to a loan agreement.
    They are not a part of your W-2 taxable wages, so they don't exist.

It would be the same if you earned $100,000 per year under the table.
    If they can't 'see it' in the proper format, it isn't there.

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  10. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    That's overly simplistic. There is lots of income that is not on a w-2: rent income, dividend income, interest income, alimony, child support, etc.

A manual mortgage underwriter will take ALL income sources into account. It may take a few minutes to explain exactly what "per diem pay" is, but a professional (not a mortgage monkey) will take it into account.

Per diem is one of the few precious gifts of the taxman to the American Trucker. It allows us to keep our money, instead of sending it to the government. I simply cannot understand that someone can think it is a good idea to pay more taxes in the hopes that the government, well known for it's ability to spend money wisely, will give it back to you later....... That notion is so absurd to me it drives me nuts.

Nostalgic, tucker, crb and 1 other person Thank this.
  11. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    You don't have to pay more. Just adjust your withholdings properly and then do your taxes properly at the end of the year. Screw per diem.

ZVar and buddyd157 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.