Question about ~Move over for Flashing lights Law~

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Damaged_Goods, May 23, 2017.

1. Damaged_Goods

Damaged_Goods Light Load Member

Apr 9, 2016
    I know the law is where you should try to move over to the nearest lane away from emergency/police vehicles that have their flashing lights if its safe to do so, if you cannot safely do so then you must slow down.

Now, of course, driving a tractor trailer can make it difficult to move over sometimes and if you cant you slow it down and keep to leftmost side of your lane as much as you can (e.g. vehicle with flashing lights are on right shoulder of multi-lane highway).

My question is if one is able to easily move over to the adjacent lane, say a quarter mile before, do you also have to slow down, too. or only if you can't move over,,?

I recently had 2 hard braking instances where a few cars moved over ahead of me and I slid right behind them like a quarter to a 5th of a mile prior.. we were all doing the speed limit thereabouts (60-65) prior to. However, I didnt expect to suddenly hit the brakes when the lead car in the bunch suddenly slowed down considerably to like 35. hell it could have been 30.....
    It wasn't accident or anything to gawk at and it there was no construction , it was just an ordinary state trooper on a routine traffic stop, with a car pulled over, and him sitting in his patrol car behind, probably, writing up the ticket, etc....Both were completely on the shoulder and not over the line..

I know there is moderate slowdown in general especially when several cars are wanting to move over and, well, because its the Police,( Don't want to draw attention to yourself..right!...even though its quite apparent he is already pre-occupied with someone else and is unlikely to realize that you were just speeding a moment ago, or you have your phone in hand, or not wearing your seatbelt .etc etc..)

In my 2 instances we were already moved over well enough in advance and no other vehicles were present that needed to move over... but the lead car or one of them ahead of me felt the need to go 35 mph as we passed the flashing lights...

~~~ So do you have to slow down if moved over or can you still do the speed limit? Also if you cant move over, how much are you expected to slow down...If speed limit is 65. is 55 okay? 50? 40? How much are you expected to slow down?

( I generally slow down a little bit even if no other vehicles are close by, anyway ....but only a little generally a 5-10 mph reduction. More so if I can't move over...)

Just wondering if the vehicle that moved over was in the right to slow down as much as they did....They didnt like slam on the brakes but it was certainly a rapid decel....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Situational dependant. While in most cases you dont need to slow if there is a full and unoccupied lane between you, you should expect and plan for ruber necking numb skulls, as well as if there are cars in the lane between you and said emergency vehicle, you should expect unannounced lane changes and sudden speed changes. Dont trust anyone.

Just passing by and noluck Thank this.
  4. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    What are the 5 keys to the Smith System?

A) AIM HIGH IN STEERING
    B) LEAVE YOURSELF AN OUT
    C) EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED
    D) GET THE BIG PICTURE

pic.twitter.com/D2zFkNrKPE

pic.twitter.com/84I0jbiSdV

There was a DPS not far from here side swiped by a car while he had a big truck pulled over today on I-10. I'm trying to find it.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
    BlackThought Thanks this.
  5. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Just because the speed limit says 65 that does not mean you do 65.If you see flashing lights you slow down you never know what's ahead.It takes alot longer for a semi to slow down or stop compared to a car.When you're behind cars and flashing lites are ahead there's no need to keep up with the flow of traffic you don't know if all of a sudden a car slows down.You need to keep a good following distance.Use your brain and use common since if you lack either then you need to get retrained.

magoo68 Thanks this.
  6. breadtrk

breadtrk Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Just do what feels right. If you are an ###, it will come back to you. If you are a pro, that will come back too.

Never, ever, assume you know what the 4 wheelers will do, always leave complete stopping room for them jerkwads.

tinytim and austinmike Thank this.
  7. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    I was just about to rant about this very subject.

I say always go the speed limit (or thereabouts, as you say), move over and keep going the speed limit. The law is move over OR slow down, not move over AND slow down.

That said, I do not move over if it will put me at risk of getting rear ended by some texting knucklehead. If I don't move over, I will slow down considerably, and put my four-ways on, to make it obvious to the officer that I see him and I am making an effort.

8. Eowyn

Eowyn Medium Load Member

Jul 5, 2016
    TN
    It's move over OR slow down. You don't have to slow down if you move over. You just need to be aware of your surroundings. Many times I have had to slow down after moving over due to rubber necking and traffic. Sometimes when traffic is bad I will just slow and maintain my lane since moving over will just make the situation worse. This happens a lot in the morning on I 24E in TN going into Nashville. Those 4 wheeler are just special. Bless their hearts.

9. breadtrk

breadtrk Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Yeah, that

Kyle G. Thanks this.
  10. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    If you're looking ahead the way you're supposed to, you will see them. You should have plenty time to move over. If no one is ahead of you, carry on as you were. If there is a car in front of you, keep your distance...Stupid is On the Scene!

When you see a car on any roadway in America, bet that the driver is Stupid. Stupid people cannot drive and read road signs. Stupid people do not look far enough ahead down the road. What does this mean for you? Stupid will be bearing down on the flashing lights, panic, jam the brakes then switch lanes, OR switch lanes and jam the brakes because they do not know what the posted speed limit is. Steeringwheel holding is primarily a car thing. Stupid will jam on the brakes even tho the cop is on the other side of the interstate. 99% of the cars on the road will do this. If you could find odds like this in Vegas, we would all be living in Sin City.

If you are in a truck, driving down a flat piece of road, and suddenly, you find yourself coming up on an emergency vehicle sitting on the shoulder with flashing lights, and you slam on the brakes and check your mirrors to see if you can move over, GUESS WHAT?

You ARE Stupid. You are a danger to everyone in the road, you are driving blindly down the road not paying attention to your surrounding, you should not be driving and if the people at your company or law enforcement was really concerned about public safety, they would fire you and or revoke all of your driving privileges.

If you are in a 65 mph truck driving in a 70mph zone, see a cop, and suddenly have the overwhelming urge to slam on the brakes, GUESS WHAT?

You ARE Stupid. You are a danger to everyone in the road, you are driving blindly down the road not paying attention to your surrounding, you should not be driving and if the people at your company or law enforcement was really concerned about public safety, they would fire you and or revoke all of your driving privileges.

Stupid should not be allowed in commercial vehicles.

11. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.