Question about parked in high winds

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Spincycled, May 23, 2019.

1. Spincycled

Spincycled Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2018
    Anyone ever been blown over by the wind if you're parked and almost empty I mean I only got about eight thousand pounds .tried to pull off the truck stop it was completely full so my next option was I found a wide shoulder just a little bit up the road from the truck stop .the wind is hitting me directly the side of my trailer seems like it feels like the my truck is starting to lift off the ground and I'm starting to wonder if it's going to blow me over. don't have a whole lot of choices in the way I can park on the shoulder and it's 9 miles to the next exit .so I'm wondering if I should disconnect the trailer pull up a little bit. that way if the trailer gets blown over the company could just send somebody to rescue the trailer and I could still drive off in my truck. or am I being too paranoid I mean we're talking the winds are already over 50 miles per hour and i can feel it lifting the back of my truck from the wind pushing my trailer and I've seen my steering wheel turn too. 15 cop cars just flew past me cuz there's a truck rolled over up the highway . 5 hours Until the wind dies down.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Doealex

Doealex Medium Load Member

Feb 21, 2018
    You have to find the spot where it doesn’t blow from the side. I don’t think you can safely walk outside to disconnect the trailer

Spincycled Thanks this.
  4. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    The weather forecast for the mountain region until Saturday is snow, wind and more wind, if you can find a overpass and snuggle up to the sides as best you can. At night the wind sometimes slows down...sometimes.

Spincycled and buddyd157 Thank this.
  5. adayrider

adayrider Road Train Member

May 7, 2018
    Sleep with your head to the wind. That way if you blow over you will be on your feet and not your head.

ODR, ncmickey, bzinger and 16 others Thank this.
  6. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    This would seem to make sense if you can't move to where the wind is parallel to you; park with the truck at 90° angle. That base should be enough to prevent it going over.

Spincycled Thanks this.
  7. Freddy57

Freddy57 Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Mount Vernon, MO
    Lower the landing gear to give it a little more stability.

8. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    You want him to park on the shoulder?
    Should he turn all his lights off, or leave the parking lights on, or use the 4 way flashers tonight?

9. pmdriver

Nov 14, 2017
    If it gets that bad, shoulder really is not a good place to be and the wind never stays going in the same direction it seems, but if on shoulder flashers on, safety markers out as they should be, and be ready for the wind slowing down so it can be moved to a better location when safe. when the sun goes down it might slow down, then run.

Spincycled and tscottme Thank this.
  10. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Point it into the wind.
    I watched an empty in a yard get blown over, plus it threw it about 35 feet. So you’ll wind up blocking traffic, or the ditch.

Spincycled Thanks this.
  11. pmdriver

Nov 14, 2017
    And then I just looked at the weather report for the front range, it is not going to start blowing until 0100, that is just normal breeze now

Spincycled Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.