question about previous license suspension

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Jesus Brito, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Jesus Brito

Jesus Brito Bobtail Member

Nov 8, 2018
    If I need to get my cdl before going to a company that is cool as well, I understand I left myself in a situation from being stupid when I was younger. I just want to get my foot in the door and do otr with one company for a year then I should be hirable about anywhere I want.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Gotcha
    Easy way to find out is apply for a CDL Learners permit and see if Georgia will issue it

I have a friend that’s making good money hauling expedited freight in a sprinter van

He bought the van cheap at an auction and grosses over a dollar a mile
    Clears like 80cents a mile after fuel

No CDL
    No hours of service regs
    No log books or E-logs
    No weigh stations
    No roadside inspections

His brother is an O/O with a flatbed and this guy with the van makes more money

Jesus Brito Thanks this.
  4. Jesus Brito

Nov 8, 2018
    Well do. I thank you for the help and time sir! That’s actually why I wanted to get into this industry is the fact u can own your own business in 5 years or less.

5. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Your driving record most likely won't be a problem.
    Whatever you do, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, even consider signing up for CRST or CR England. Nothing but pain, misery, sorrows, and regret will follow and haunt you if you sign on with Crusty or England. Both companies will bus you to their training facilities, but will send you packing AT YOUR EXPENSE should you not pass their criminal and driving record checks. But they will receive about two grand from the government regardless of whether you attend their schools or are sent home. To achieve this nefarious end, they don't check your driving record until you arrive at their school. It's a racket the mafia would be proud of. I've heard Swift is repairing their reputation. And Phoenix is nice during winter months.

Jesus Brito Thanks this.
  6. Jesus Brito

Nov 8, 2018
    I don’t want to team drive so crst is not an option and I heard cr England charges u interest on cdl school only company I’ve read that does that. Thanks for the info

7. roundhouse

Jul 11, 2018
    If there is a state vo tech school near you
    THats the best way to get your CDL in Georgia

They are excellent schools and only $1,600 for the 8 week class
    The state vo tech schools are third party testers
    If you pass the class you get your CDL

You Don’t have to go take the test again at the DMV

Do NOT sign a loan from some trucking company for $8K for their useless in house school

My 20 yr old son just attended the one at Chattahoochee tech just north of Atlanta in Kennesaw

Constant stream of recruiters
    and The school screens em pretty well
    If the company has too high turnover rate , the instructors don’t let the recruiters on campus

And the have a variety of trucking company options
    One company is the primary hauler for Lowe’s and promises the drivers home every week
    One company does heavy haul & oversize

I will see if I can find out some details from my friend that’s running expedited freight in a van
    what brokers he uses , what insurance etc

I do know his brother in law is company driving a flatbed 18 , and the guy with the van is making more $$$

You don’t really own your own business if you own a tractor and are using someone else’s highway authority and they are finding the freight
    You just own the expensive part of the operation and are doing all the hard work

The broker is the one relaxing at home and raking in the money while taking zero risk
    He doesn’t get any hassle from the cops and DOT , doesn’t keep logbooks , doesn’t file quarterly fuel tax reports, doesn’t pay $1200 a month for insurance , and gets to live at home instead of a truck

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    Jesus Brito Thanks this.
  8. Jesus Brito

Nov 8, 2018
    Yes good point if u don’t have your own authority and booking your own loads. I didn’t think about tech schools because the cdl schools I found were 4-6k. Then again those were all private schools not tech colleges. I was under the impression u can’t get a cdl job till your 21 because you can’t legally cross state lines till that age even if u can get your cdl at 20.

9. roundhouse

Jul 11, 2018

If you’re in Georgia getting your CDL is not expensive and not difficult

$1700 and 6-8 weeks at a state vo tech school
    6 weeks if you don’t have any issues with the parking lot maneuvering
    You have to pass the four backing maneuvers to advance to the road

You have to het your CDL learners permit
    Before you start the class

Along with a DOT physical and a recent drug screen and recent MVR

All those requirements are on the tech school web one

Go apply for the CDL learners license and see if they issue it with your previous suspension
    It may or may not be a problem
    Although I’m pretty sure that question is on the application
    So if you answer YES they may just toss your app right there without looking at your MVR

So if that question is on the application you will have to decide how to answer it

First thing is I’d pull a copy of your MVR from both states and see what’s on it

you haven’t pulled a MVR from both states already ???

What’s the delay ??

Jesus Brito Thanks this.
  10. Jesus Brito

Nov 8, 2018
    Yes I have, Illinois shows a suspension for insurance and shows I paid the reinstatement fee for insurance, previous 2 tickets are not on there. I had a speeding 5 over in 2016 I forgot about but I doubt that will be an issue. I’m going tomorrow to get my DOT physical done so I can get my permit. I went to the dmv and my cdl eligibility is valid. Oh and Georgia has absolutely nothing on my mvr I got that a few days ago. Luckily dmv cleared up my questions for the most part. All suspension would effect me getting a cdl except for suspensions for child support, failure to appear and insurance. Permit is the easy part I’m currently trying to see where to best get training for my cdl would be best at.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.