Question about tractor trailer system

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by JamesMc84, Jul 27, 2021.

1. JamesMc84

JamesMc84 Bobtail Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I’m plumbing in a trailer brake air system on the international 4400 that’s never had wir brake towing capabilities.

the supply side was easy to figure out. The service side I’m running into a issue. I was told I didn’t need to replace a the treadle valve by the dealership I got all the parts from but I’m kinda stumped on how I set up the service side so I don’t have air going to the blue glad hand when the trailer isn’t hooked up.

Can someone help explain how it should be plumbed?

Is there some sort of valve I need?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JamesMc84

JamesMc84 Bobtail Member

Mar 20, 2017
    From the diagrams I’m looking at it looks like I should t off from the foot valve which goes to a double check valve behind the tractor protection
    Hand valve has air supplied from the supply circuit which T’s into the double check valve

4. JamesMc84

JamesMc84 Bobtail Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I’m thinking there is a relay I could use, that is T’d into the supply side? Anyone ideas?

5. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    KIMG0347.JPG You do not have to have a hand valve for the trailer.
    Have to have a tractor protection valve. This is a picture of one on a late 80's KW. It is easy to see. All combination vehicles have one. Many are hid up in the sleeper or cab.

spsauerland and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  6. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    What are wir brakes any ways?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.