Question about weight restrictions on under 26k set ups

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by crocky, Sep 5, 2019.

1. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    oh man AR is fun stuff.... I don't remember where I was going but for some reason thought AR14 would be the best choice with a Cascadia and 53ft trailer... LOL good thing I was empty.. It was kinda fun though that 12% grade at the end at night in fog was the tits!

I also used to run 65 through Eurka Springs between the 2 Tyson plants the one in Rogers and I forget what town the other was in (looked it up was Berryville).. Fun stuff going around blind corners sticking the front of your truck into the on coming traffic lane so your trailer wouldn't hit the side of the mountain on the right hand turns.. (and that was the "truck route")

I preferred to do that run at night, because you knew if someone was coming the other direction because of headlights.. In the day time it was.. ahhh ####..there's a car.. well ok I'm bigger than him he's getting off the road..

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    oh.. btw.. I just locked in my insurance via Progressice today actually got it about $700 cheaper going with one of the agents who called me after my DOT posted.. and I got approved to finance my trailer, like the one above..

I was trying to find a used one and just buy outright, but all I kept finding was either 24-32ft or 40ft triples.. I wanted the 36ft tandem so going to go look at it tomorrow and make sure it's what I want..

Also something else I learned today.. according to my insurance agent.. being I have my DOT# the agent says I can go ahead and pull loads intrastate in FL if I wanted to while waiting on the MC# to go live.. Granted I'd have to make the insurance live and get my DOT inspections..

Anyone know if that's true?

4. 24kHotshot

24kHotshot Heavy Load Member

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    Yea you can do intrastate until the MC goes live. My carrier service agent told me the same thing while I was waiting on my MC #.

5. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Yea, I actually pulled a load already. Ended up getting my 1st local customer as the place I bought my trailer didnt have anyone to shuffle trailers between their dealerships.

I double checked with OOIDA as well and they said it was true but they did warn me that the DOT will most likely see the number as "inactive" because its combined with the MC#. So it's legal but you would have to explain it to the DOT guys.. ie draws more attention too you so I'm not planning to haul anymore till its all active.. I did the one load because I knew if I did it that I'd get a local customer out of it.

Lite bug and 24kHotshot Thank this.
  6. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    I think so. You are limited legally by what the truck is plated and registered for, which in your case is 26,000 lbs to stay under IRP/IFTA. 26k minus whatever the weight of your unladen truck and trailer is will give you your maximum payload you can put on the trailer. With a SRW truck that is pushing it a little bit and you will have to be careful not to overload the drive axle. That is pushing it even with a 1-ton DRW if it's an older one. I would go straight to a 550/5500 size truck next if you are planning to run it hard OTR but then you will need to do IRP and IFTA.

7. 24kHotshot

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    Irp and ifta is not a big deal, why is everyone so afraid of it?

The upside for running cdl is I get bypass on 95% of weight stations even when fully loaded and the non cdl setup gets pulled in.

Was running on the highway and 2 non cdl hotshots in front of me and 1 behind me. All three got pulled in and I got bypass. Seems like they are targeting the non cdl rigs.

Got pulled in once, officer asked to see my registration and saw that I am registered for 40k and sent me on my way. Didn't check anything else. Meanwhile the lot had half a dozen non cdl hotshots standing getting inspected.

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I will second the idea they hunt the crap out of the Hotshots.

Here they nail a average of one or two a month for proper issues logging what does not exist such as a DOT acceptable sleeper berth. Going by our Courts records.. but more common, catching those who do not get full CDLA for the rigs they run.

24kHotshot Thanks this.
  9. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Guys running OTR under 26,000 lbs are a target at the scales. I will try to name a few. Putting together a profitable load is very difficult OTR. You need at least 3 pieces, finding three going the same way on load boards and staying under 26. DOT knows someone operating under 26 is not likely to have a lot of experience ( failure rate is high because of the box they have put themselves in ) what else can I find they find? “ Pull around back and bring your paperwork “ The hotshot setups are easy to inspect and guys operating on a shoestring might be lacking a few things. Guy running this kind of setup might not know how to tarp, has straps and tarp flapping in the wind. His load stands out looks sloppy...what else is going on with this guy, or the last guy with a load that looked like this was way out of line. Or my cousin runs flatbed he can’t stand them guys with the pickups, we’ll maybe not.

24kHotshot Thanks this.
  10. 24kHotshot

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    Cross country pays less. I find it difficult to find long hauls for more than 50 cents a mile/per car.

500-700 miles looks like the sweet spot for 70+ cents a mile per car. If you can fit a couple big trucks they often pay close to a dollar per mile each.

Even though I am based out of FL I don't run there. Getting out with a decent paying load is tough. Make sure any load going into FL pays better than avg to even it out.

11. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Yeah, the 50 cent cars is why I didn't go straight car hauler like every other hot shot I see here in FL. That and I thought car insurance was gonna cost me too much to even do when I got my 1st quote.. Originally I was quoted like $30k as a car hauler so after that I opted to go the freight route then got much better insurance rates so I could start out with cars anyway. By that time I had already figured out how I was going to run freight so I didn't want to scrap that, but instead went with a trailer that lets me haul both..

Anyway due to my trailer being a flatbed low boy, I can haul over size cars/equipment to get that better money and then come back in with freight instead of cars. Also I have room to slip in a motorcycle up front on the trailer. Once I upgrade my truck I'm planing to find a decent used wedge though just to have that option.

What part of FL are you located in btw? I'm a bit NE of Orlando on the way to Daytona just off I4 a bit past Sanford.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.