Question about weight restrictions on under 26k set ups

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by crocky, Sep 5, 2019.

1. 24kHotshot

24kHotshot Heavy Load Member

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    Progressive agent warned me about claiming freight and hauling cars semi regularly. My insurance is $37k and that's 3k a month after down payment. Got a 1k discount for a hard wired ELD. I'm hauling cars cause its a bit easier to find and deal with, and no delays loading/unloading. Having a cdl and being able to take 4 at a time keeps me above $2 a mile even hauling those cheap 50 cent a mile cars. I'll be upgrading in a year to a 6 car hauler, maybe 7-8 if I find a nice deal on a semi and putting a driver on my current rig.

I'm actually a NYer moving to the Pompano Beach area soon so went ahead and opened my business there so I wouldn't have to move it later. I'm in the area every other week or so. Having second thoughts though and thinking of getting a place in NC.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    My insurance includes cars.. I'm covered for freight, cars, equipment, farm, construction and a couple other things. It's $12k/year paid $2,3k down via a Progressive broker. I got a very good 1st year rate so far as FL goes.. For the record that is just the MC policy.. I did add additional coverage for my Truck & Trailer $10k comp & collision for each so $20k total.. That added an additional $2k/year but that was optional on my part.. opted to do it last minute so to speak. so with the comp & collision I'm at $1,1k/month now for everything.

As it's sits right now with my current set up, my monthly expenses if I do not move are just $1,3k/month so I'm in pretty good position as a new carrier. That was also one of the reasons I was hesitant to go for a new truck right off the bat and went used. I sort of regret it but then I look at my monthly expenses to get started and it's a ok trade off.. Meaning I can afford to stay local if I really need to for now.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.